Author Topic: Beavers with 4 bag suspensions  (Read 5948 times)

Bill Sprague

Beavers with 4 bag suspensions
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:04:06 PM »
I'm camp hosting in a state park and a camper with a Holiday Rambler came in with one completley broken and one cracked trailing arm.  It is one of the nastier RV failures I've seen.  

I did a little Googling and found out that Monaco products, including Beavers, with the Roadmaster R4R and R4RR suspensions have a high risk of trailing arm failure.  

This is not new news.  It was apparently reported in a FMCA magazine last fall.  But I did a search here and didn't find anything on this forum.

My suggestion is that as we see and make friends with 4 bag Beaver owners at rallies, or other events, we ask them if they are aware of the risk.

There is a good description of the issues here:  http://www.rv-chassis.com/RoadmasterR4R_FMC1109.pdf

Gerald Farris

Re: Beavers with 4 bag suspensions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 03:42:19 AM »
There is only one year and one model of Beaver coach that is has this design flaw, the 2003 Baron. The topic was covered in the thread "Chassis Recall" in November 2009 on the Technical Support Board.       http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1257260951/

It was also discussed on the Sources for Suppliers, Parts and Maintenance Materials board in April 2010.    http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1271792292/

Gerald
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:54:25 AM by 235 »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »
I guess I need to figure out how to do better searches on this site.  I failed to find what is clearly there!  I'm glad that the problem is limited to a small number of coaches.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 06:32:53 AM »
The most common mistake in performing a search on the forum is made by not setting the thread age preference to older than 30 days, or by not selecting the proper board to perform the search on.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:31:58 PM »
I've overlooked that thread age preference many times myself, and you have to train yourself to remember it.  I've often wondered why it is automatically set at less than 30 days, esp. given that most of what we're searching for is gonna be well beyond that.  Is there some way that could be changed to the older than 30 days setting being the default?  Or, better yet, no age setting involved at all.  Administrators, feel free to chime in.  ::)

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »
This software is used for some forums that are much larger then ours and some have hundreds of posts per month.  The 30 days or newer makes the search faster and limits the data displayed.  The setting is a nuisance for us, will do some research and see of the default can be changed.