Author Topic: Tow Hitch rating  (Read 3635 times)

Allen Hughes

Tow Hitch rating
« on: October 24, 2015, 02:51:48 PM »
Our 2006 Patriot Thunder has a hitch that is rated at 10,000 lbs maximum capacity with a max of 1,000 tongue tongue. We would like to tow a stacker trailer that with payload will be approximately 13,000 lbs and 800 lbs tongue weight. I am curious how others have addressed this and who did the conversion?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:53:46 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Tow Hitch rating
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »
I did a search here on the Forum using "tow hitch" and found numerous entries which discuss your question in round-about ways.  The general consensus seems to be to not exceed your hitch rating and GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating).
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dale Wiest

Re: Tow Hitch rating
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »
First you need to verify you don't exceed the GCVWR of your motorhome with the trailer attached.
Second, either the hitch can be reinforced or a new one built to handle the weight by a reputable welder/hitch installer.

On my 94 Marquis Le which had a poorly built factory 5000 lb hitch that I wouldn't have towed anything with, I choose to replace it with a custom built one that would handle even the stacker you have. With my 24' enclosed Pace Shadow GT and race car and tools etc, I am very close to my GCVWR, but am not exceeding it. The bus doesn't even know its back there.