Author Topic: shower faucet handle/knob replacement  (Read 23266 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
shower faucet handle/knob replacement
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »
I think I have posted, and received the name of a supplier, in the past. I have searched and can't find it. I have a shower handle as pictured below in the first slide. The second slide is where it shows a brand name. I think it says B+K which is now a part of Mueller (brass) Industries.

To operate the shower, the current handle is moved UP to turn it on, and then right and left to control temperature. As soon as that dang lever is up, its subject to being moved at the slightest touch. I'm so tired of accidentally bumping it with a face full of soap suds and subsequently being almost scalded by a stream of very hot water!

I want to change it to the knob type, that pulls out and then can only move right or left to regulate temperature. If I accidentally bump it, it will only turn the water off. Does anyone have an idea where to get a B+K knob that will work on this single handle shower? Will any replacement knob from one of the big boxes work just as well?

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

BJ Sprague

Re: shower faucet handle/knob replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 04:21:41 AM »
Bill and I had the same faucet and temperamental lever in our 2004 Beaver Monterey.  While still under warranty, Beaver Coach Sales replaced it with a safer and easier to operate faucet such as was used in the Patriot models in the mid-2000's.  Access to the plumbing was through the bedroom wall.  It took a tech most of an afternoon to replace the faucet.  I wish you luck.  I remember the scalding.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »
I just want to find a knob that will go on the faucet (the little thingy that sticks out of the wall) connection. Sounds like I may not be able to do that. Always shaking my head at some designs..what were they thinking?
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
BJ's version of the story left out part of the fun.   She explained we didn't like the valve, but we were not getting much traction with Beaver to get it "fixed".   Desperate, I explained to the Warranty Service Manager, Tom Halter, where the valve was located on the wall and which of BJ's parts were most likely to run into the protruding valve handle when she turned around to rinse shampoo from her hair with her eyes closed.  Clockwise would burn her, counterclockwise would freeze her.   Some her best parts were exactly lined up with that valve handle!

I don't recall who blushed first or hardest, Tom or BJ.  Tom got a valve from the Marquis inventory that was much better.  It was a Delta with separate handles for temperature and volume.

Tom now owns and runs Advantage RV Repair in Bend.  I've heard good reports from some of his customers!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:54:52 PM by Bill Sprague »

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »
We have the same shower valve on our 04 Monterey. I dislike it as well.
Is there an access opening behind the mirror in bedroom wall?
I would consider replacing if there is access, not sure I want to remove mirror and also cut hole in wall.
Has anyone removed mirror to check for access to valve?
Thanks,
Darrell
04 Monterey

2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »
We have the same shower valve on our 04 Monterey. I dislike it as well.
Is there an access opening behind the mirror in bedroom wall?
I would consider replacing if there is access, not sure I want to remove mirror and also cut hole in wall.
Has anyone removed mirror to check for access to valve?
Thanks,
Darrell
04 Monterey
Darrell,
On the '04 Monterey we used to own, that mirror came off.  The primary attachment appeared to be the four metal clips at the corners.  However, the "real" attachment was a lot of wide Velcro.  Once I convinced the top metal clips to move upwards to release the mirror,  the mirror peeled off.   Behind the mirror, there was an access hole for the valve.   It might be that ours had a hole there because Beaver replaced our valve under warranty.   If you don't find a hole, it would be easy to cut one with one of those vibrating hole saws like a Rockwell Sonicrafter.   There is obviously plumbing in there for the shower that you would not want to cut.  There were no wires. 

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »
HI I went to Home depot to get a shorter plastic. Kept bumping into the factory one... They had one in stock that fit perfectly. Danco I believe. Clear plastic surprisingly looks OK
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 04:55:32 AM »
Jim,

Could you post a picture, please?

Thank you.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
Hi Here is the photo, It tightens the same as the factory handle but the hole is deeper in the handle that the factory. Consequently you need to make sure there is a touch of clearance between the handle and the valve. I think I paid about $9.00 for it . Was a stock item at Home depot. Let me know how you make out. Jim
Jim Edwards
15 Grand Cherokee
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 07:02:36 PM »
This is awesome, Jim. Thanks so much!! As soon as I get near a HD, I'm going shopping!
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Your welcome Just bring the old handle with you. They have a wall of them and it helps to compare how they connect.

Good luck!
Jim Edwards
15 Grand Cherokee

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »
Jim,
I tried to take the existing shower handle off. Picture one shows it with the flange loose from the wall. The sleeve that has a red arrow pointing to it, turns. Is that something that unscrews to get the handle off? I turned it for quite some time. It didn't seem to be coming unscrewed. Picture 2 shows the handle in the off position, with the flange loose from the wall. (the flange does not come off the handle, the hole is too small) The flange doesn't come off over the handle, so I'm guessing it comes off the rear after the shaft is off. The red arrow is pointing to a slot of some sort. Perhaps I have to pry that to get the shaft off there. I don't want to break anything. Can you tell me how yours came off?

Thanks for any ideas.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:36:42 PM by Stan Simpson »
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 10:59:11 PM »
I'd be interested in how this replacement works out, since we have the same troublesome handle.  Haven't attempted anything yet, so am curious also how you disassembled things, Jim.  I'm guessing there's an Allen screw under the handle holding it on the valve shaft, and Stan hasn't noticed it yet, but I've not actually looked for one yet myself.

It would be an optimal solution, since behind my shower plumbing wall is kitchen tile and the microwave;  perhaps not as accessible to the valve assembly as a mirror.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

John Jahr

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 01:54:11 AM »
Jim,

There is a set screw under the handle.

John

John Jahr

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 01:58:35 AM »
Stan,

Sorry, I should have addressed the last post to you.

John