Author Topic: Remote Bay Door Locks  (Read 4698 times)

Kurt Schroeder

Remote Bay Door Locks
« on: October 30, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »
Heads-up for all owners concerning the bay door actuators...the original bay door actuators (black color) have no current protection. Voltage is fed to the actuator as long as the button is depressed on the FOB. I was in the habit of carrying the FOB in my jeans pocket, and while driving, I believe something in my pocket was pressing on the "Unlock" button. The result "fried" six of the seven door actuators on my coach. The failures are initially indicated by lack of response to the FOB, and depending on how bad each actuator is "fried", it will vary from a locked piston (which will prevent you from manually locking the door with a key) or just no response. To regain a manual capability with a locked piston, you must disconnect the piston from the lock mechanism. The good news is the updated replacement actuators (Trimark P/N 1906201 Contact #800-431-8616) have a current limiter. Trimark charges around $10 per actuator or you can buy them through Monoco for $40.
Even with the current limiter, I won't be carrying the FOB around in my pocket anymore.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Remote Bay Door Locks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »
For decades we've both used plastic snap hooks like these for all our motorhome keys:  http://www.amazon.com/Bluemoona-20-PCS-Plastic-Keychain/dp/B015LMW216/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1446274129&sr=8-42&keywords=snap+hook+plastic

We use several different sized regular key rings, interlocked to separate ignition or oft-used keys from others, in the closed end of the snap hook, so the slide-snap end can be easily slipped over our front pant belt loops, where the keys are handier than in a pocket.  Avoiding "pocket-dialing" was just one of our motivations.  By deft use of several metal rings, we manage 8 keys and a fob on one hook, all for the coach.

The hooks are common at the key-making display at most hardware retailers.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 08:05:02 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 03:08:03 PM »
All of our keys are hung on the curbside of the front console just over the fore side of the front step.  The hooks used are the 3M Command brand with removable double-sided sticky tape.  I placed seven hooks there and we keep our toad keys (two separate sets on two separate hooks), portable generator keys (again, two sets on two hooks), key fobs (again, two sets on two hooks), and miscellaneous keys on the seventh hook.  I also made up one set of keys which includes color-coded keys that fit every lock on the coach, and it hangs on the upper end of the step handrail.  This has helped a lot with our management of all the keys.  When we are about to depart a park, or whenever, if a hook is empty, then there is a set of keys somewhere out of place.  Yet another set of keys stays in the ignition all the time too.  We use the keyless to lock and unlock the entry door.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 12:37:48 AM »
I installed small hooks in the back of the drawer at the bottom of the center console to place all keys on. I use the Trimark to lock and unlock the doors but I always have a set of keys in my pocket just in case. Also I never ever leave the key in the ignition switch as I have heard of coaches being driven out because the key was left in the switch. A friend of mine had two coaches taken off his RV sales lot because the keys were left in the ignition switch.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley