Author Topic: Salvage RV  (Read 8498 times)

Dale Wiest

Salvage RV
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
I have the chance to purchase a salvage 1996 40' Patriot. It has around 40,000 miles and body wise is in great shape. It was mouse infested, and written off by the insurance company. It was professionally cleaned, and still written off.
My question is, will any off the windows on this unit fit my coach and also the bay doors. I am going to look at it 2.5 hours away next Monday.
If I buy it I will offer for sale many good used parts to fellow Beaver owners, including the 3126 cat, and the 6500 watt generator.
Feel free to pm me on this and I will update more after looking at it Monday.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Salvage RV
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
Dale, word of caution, Engine wiring to ECM from front. Just finished up rewiring and problems
with something eating wire loom on ECM J-1 and J-2 connectors. Had to use my cat breakout
connection at J-1 data cable to start cat 3126B than rewire back to front. If you have a good buy in your mind cost in minor if your not paying Cat $ 140.00 per hour. The cost for Myself to repair
1998 fleetwood with 3126B cat that been setting for 3 years behind house around $ 600.00 but
in the cost 7 hours to get the ECM to power up engine. last thought Cat Dealer in Blythe, Cal.
no longer works on motorhomes. they had owner contact myself to help the owner of motor
home. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dale Wiest

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »
Dale, word of caution, Engine wiring to ECM from front. Just finished up rewiring and problems
with something eating wire loom on ECM J-1 and J-2 connectors. Had to use my cat breakout
connection at J-1 data cable to start cat 3126B than rewire back to front. If you have a good buy in your mind cost in minor if your not paying Cat $ 140.00 per hour. The cost for Myself to repair
1998 fleetwood with 3126B cat that been setting for 3 years behind house around $ 600.00 but
in the cost 7 hours to get the ECM to power up engine. last thought Cat Dealer in Blythe, Cal.
no longer works on motorhomes. they had owner contact myself to help the owner of motor
home. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dave, this thing runs and drives as is, but IS NOT insurable.  Salvage only. It will take me close to a year to strip it of all the good parts.

The owners had bounce dryer sheets all over the place and bars of Irish spring soap, but the mice eat the soap and pooped on the dryer sheets  ???

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
I would be interested in the motor that pushes the generator out, mine is siezed up.

Also might be interested in the door depending on whether it would fit mine or not.  Mine is a 97 patriot 40'.  I have a pretty good door ding and paint scraped off on it (I bought it that way).

The color in the picture resembles my green color, not sure how close the 96 and 97 were tho.

If you don't mind me asking, approx how much does something like what you are buying usually go for, i.e. a salvage beaver of that era. 

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer
1997 Beaver Patriot Camden 40'

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »

[/quote]The owners had bounce dryer sheets all over the place and bars of Irish spring soap, but the mice eat the soap and pooped on the dryer sheets  ???
[/quote]

Nothing worse than a sophisticated rodent.  They know high end coaches when they see them..   ;D
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dale Wiest

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 02:22:36 PM »
I would be interested in the motor that pushes the generator out, mine is siezed up.

Also might be interested in the door depending on whether it would fit mine or not.  Mine is a 97 patriot 40'.  I have a pretty good door ding and paint scraped off on it (I bought it that way).

The color in the picture resembles my green color, not sure how close the 96 and 97 were tho.

If you don't mind me asking, approx how much does something like what you are buying usually go for, i.e. a salvage beaver of that era.

Tim I will let you know if I purchase the unit. Can't say yet what the price is until after the sale closes. 

Tim & Ann

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »
If it has the RVA leveling system, I would be interested in purchasing one of the control keypads (there may be two, one for the driver and one in the engine access area).  One of the LEDs on mine got broken by something falling on it and I'd like to replace it.  I'm in no hurry since the existing one still works and the warning sounds are sufficient for my needs, without the LED.