Author Topic: Acceptable Road Conditions  (Read 10429 times)

Robin Goffrier

Acceptable Road Conditions
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »
Our plan/hope is to leave Bend Oregon on or about Jan 1 and head south to Indio.  This will be the first long haul for us in this particular MH, previous trips made in 34' gas Itascas.  Beaver has been in the shop getting the roof sealed and surge protector installed.  I brought it home a couple days ago just as most of the snow was leaving the road surfaces.  Some of the ruts  still existed and were no fun to navigate.  My question, is about the decision to go/no go relative to road conditions.  When we were operating our trawler (power boat) and moving it from  Portland to Seattle there was a rule we followed exactly relative to putting to sea; if the combined swell and wind wave height forecast was greater than 10' we stayed tied to the dock. Less than, was a go.  Easy rule to discern.  Roads, maybe not so simple. From personal experiences, when do you decide, no go?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Acceptable Road Conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »
Welcome to BAC, we avoid snow and ice if possible. I do carry chains( CA law in mountains)  but never plan to put them on. I have seen the back of the coach in my mirrors on slick ice and it will happen to you very fast.
In the winter trips south we use I-5 and watch the weather

Travel safe

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
For any trip I plan this time if year, I check the road cameras for the states I plan on traveling through and if I cannot see black pavement, I usually don't go that route.  The cameras you need to check for your trip are Oregon ( http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCmap.asp?curRegion=0&mainNav=RoadConditions ) and Northern California (http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/allcams.shtml ).

I also watch the weather reports and plan my travel around the best days.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
Robin,
Do not buy or plan on using tire chains on your 2001 Marquis unless you remove the wheel housings for clearance. In other words, if you need chains, don't go. And if you get hit by surprise weather and need chains, just park until you get dry roads.

Gerald 

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 06:36:39 PM »
Robin,
 if you need chains, don't go. And if you get hit by surprise weather and need chains, just park until you get dry roads.

Gerald

Oh yeh, my sentiments exactly.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:19:02 PM »
I do agree with Gerald, but I do carry chains with me when travel takes me into CA it's the law and you will see this posted, as I did mention I would never install the chains. If during travel you had an issue with the ring and the CA State patrol stop to check on you they could cite you for lack of chains.

If the roads look good I go after checking the cameras, we normally RON at Seven Feathers, I have gone to the coast when we didn't see a weather break. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 01:21:47 AM »
Basically in Ca the CHP is only looking at trucks with the chain carry law, in all the years trucking up and down the west coast I've never been asked about chains, if you didn't hav'em no go is what they always said. I switched to all cable chains once they got good and would last. If I was to get a set for the PT I would get a good set of cables and the ties to hold them tight.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 03:13:31 PM »
Lee, as I said I just don't drive in ice or snow. I normally let the road crews cleat the way. I did go on line to check with CA about the chains here is what they say

There are three primary categories of chain restrictions, as shown below:

R-1: Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.

R-2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires.

R-3: Chains are required on all vehicles without exception.

R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »
Here is a better link to Oregon's ODOT highway cameras.  This one has the whole state.  South of the Oregon/California border there are several more camera shots.

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!