Author Topic: Solar Panel Operation  (Read 4814 times)

Dale Walker

Solar Panel Operation
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:39:38 AM »
Hello everyone. After procrastinating for the last 4 months, I decided, I should refill the coach batteries. Glad I did, took nearly 3 gallons of water to fill them. I like to think I have a pretty good idea about how things work, but when we bought this Coach, it never crossed my mind to ask about the operation of the Solar Panels. If the main cut-off switch is off, does that stop the solar panels from charging the batteries? If it does can I turn the switch on, and charge the batteries, for a couple of days, then shut the main switch off, to stop charging? If the solar panels keep charging, it seems the chance of boiling the batteries dry?

Michael Hannan

Re: Solar Panel Operation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 01:45:45 AM »
Glad you asked the question as I'd like to know too.  I too got bit by the failing to check the battery levels a couple of months ago.  I have it setup in my calendar to monthly now as I live in my coach full time. Each month I add some water to them.  The local store likes the increase in distilled water sales.  ;)

MJ

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:16:10 AM »
Just as an FYI, using the Pro Fill water system greatly simplifies the routing maintenance of adding water.  No fun, no muss and I just hook it up once a month and refill.

https://flow-rite.com/battery-watering/pro-fill

Dale Walker

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:16:23 AM »
Thanks Dick. I have a golf cart with a watering system, boy, is that a sweet deal. I filled mine today with a battery fill bottle, but nearly killed my knees. Thanks for the website, one of my next purchases!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 06:13:01 AM »
The solar controller charges the batteries (house first, then chassis) even with the mains off, Dale.  But they won't overcharge.  I rely mostly on the solar while the coach is parked in "storage" next to my house, only rarely plugging in when I have an air dryer going onboard, etc., or dreary winter weather limits solar input.

If you had to add a gallon and aren't exaggerating,  that's not good and your house battery life has been at least somewhat compromised.  Just parked by the house on solar, I check and add distilled water at least every few months;  but it's usually only one to three cups for 4 units.  My batteries are 10 year old factory Interstates, only now showing signs of weakness, so I musta done something right.

If you feel you can't maintain them routinely the old fashioned way, then perhaps Dick's ProFill method is best for you.  I grew up on a farm and was taught maintenance from the get go, so it's no big deal to me to manually top off 6v. batteries every so often.  With that attitude built in, I find it hard to spend what they're asking for autofill devices.  But to others, the investment is worth it.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:21:03 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dale Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:02:58 PM »
Joel, I too got my education out behind the barn! LOL!! We always thought an ounce of prevention was worth a pound of cure. Because it took so much water was why I posed the question. The batteries were filled before we left for AZ. in Oct. Apparently they need to be checked once a month, or every other month. When I was filling them I detected the faint odor of battery acid. So, I either waited to long, or maybe just saved them? Time will tell, I suppose. Thanks for reminder.