Author Topic: Tools/spares to carry?  (Read 24063 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Tools/spares to carry?
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
I want to be more planful about the tools I carry in the coach.  So what do you folks bring along for 4 to 15 day trips?  Tools?  Spare parts?

Happy New Year,

Larry

Dick Simonis

Re: Tools/spares to carry?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »
I have a small toolbox with basic hand tools, a dremel tool, power drill, and etc.  For electric I found a nice kit with connectors and such and than a couple of small rolls of 12 ga stranded wire.  That's about it.  If I need something for a project I just run out and pick it up.

Spare parts, almost nothing because whatever I need I wont have and whatever I have I wont need.

I do have engine oil (never needed), tranny fluid (never needed), and DI water for the batteries (use 1 gallon every six months).

Of course our typical trip is 5 months so probably need a bit more than you will for short trips.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:43:50 PM by Dick Simonis »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:07:04 PM »
Larry,
In addition to Dick's list, consider carrying a set of fuel filters, a spare serpentine belt and a gallon of mixed antifreeze (and boiler antifreeze if Hydro hot requires it).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Groves

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »
Wow you guys, the "basic hand tools" have certainly become more state of the art.  I carry vice grips, a multiuse screw driver (multiple bits), a set of boxed end wrenches, wire stripper/cutter, a volt meter, and spares for bulbs, AC socket, batteries, a flash light and of course a road side assistance insurance policy.  :)

Mike

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 11:44:28 PM »
In the small separately lockable bay behind the curbside rear wheels, I have on the top shelf a small but elongated, red metal (Craftsman) toolbox, with a handle on the hinged lid, in which basic mechanics tools are carried and easily accessed and portaged.  Alongside it is an emergency road markers kit, large flashlight, various bungee and other strapping cords, and a few plastic leveling pads for under tires when needed.

On the bay floor below, in the back are stacked 2 small Rubbermaid containers with lids in one of which are air system accessories such as hose, the tire nozzle I built, and a ziplock bag of air fittings.  The second box has a pair of lightweight nylon coveralls, gloves, a high power searchlight, and other items.  I also have a small black tool satchel in there, up front, in which are bulkier things I more often need, such as an all-purpose Stanley saw that's useful for cutting plastic or wood, a small plastic case with 12v. electric repair parts and stripping pliers, etc., a tube of Lexel sealant, a flexible pickup tool, cans of silicone and WD-40 lubricants, and numerous other small items.  Under it all is a small tarp that is not only occasionally handy, it helps keep the other things away from any moisture that sometimes seeps or condenses onto that bay's floor pan.

In another bay I have an assortment of ropes and lines.  More than once they were handy in tying up the awning to roof devices when it came loose, and once for tying a bale of barley straw topside.

Inside the coach I keep some basic stuff handy for common interior issues.  Included are screwdrivers and pliers of course, and a Craftsman lithium cordless drill-driver kit, a good quality multimeter, a wire tracing tool, containers of screws and small bolts and fastener types, and interior spare parts like light bulbs, cabinet/drawer latches, blind anchors, window vent caps, etc.  A small, commonly found Black and Decker kit of bits is handy, especially with its square drive sizes for most coach screws.

As an aside, I also have 6 fire extinguishers scattered around, inside and out.  I like the small black, finger-triggered ones I got from Mac the Fire Guy because they fit or can be mounted just about anywhere and are multiuse.   I have a couple of large capacity ones as well, and a small one in the toad too.  In bays, it was easy to screw a strap of Velcro to a sidewall so it would wrap around a small extinguisher and hold it as and where needed.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:01:58 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
Larry,
The tools that I carry would probably shock you, so I will not mention them except that I carry sockets up to 4 inch and impact wrenches up to 3/4 inch drive. However, the one thing that I think everyone should carry is at least a secondary fuel filter and know how to change it properly. The 15 to 30 micron (sticks and leaves) primary fuel filter rarely becomes restricted enough to strand you, but the 2 micron secondary fuel filter can become restricted enough to strand you beside the road from one tank of lees than perfectly clean fuel.

Gerald 

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »
Gentleman first of all welcome to the new year and start of 2016 Beaver Rallys. The
subject tool box( what to carry ) myself  like Gerald and Roy carry lot of tools being
our trade has take us in this direction. In addition to tools I carry a assortment of air
fittings, plastic air line ( the air line can be used for fuel system on the suction side
fuel tank along with air line fittings. Taking along some clear plastic line to be used in
troubleshooting fuel problems. The nice part of everyone having a tool box and misc.
assorted parts, in most cases fellow beaver members can repair problems if at same
Campground. Again many of our problems are minor in nature and someone will come
up with a part to repair. In addition to above I carry my Cat ET computer along with
Cat SIS computer and can provide tech info. on all of our Cat engines. Many rallys
or on the road sometimes we meet. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
Gerald makes a good point about the secondary fuel filter...I think I'll pick up an extra when I have the oil and fuel filters changed next month.  Mixed thoughts about the serpentine belt since I change it every three years and it loosing it doesn't cause any short term issues.  Need to mull that one over.

I do have a gallon of ELC coolant (never needed) and a gallon of 50/50 premix coolant for the Aquahot and the tow car....also never needed.

Can't forget extra air filters for the basement air.

Bob Baldwin

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Always if anything would be filters and filter wrench. But you never have what you really need. So a good road service for back up  would be helpful.
May be we could have something on the board, that shows members that could offer help, when they are close to a Beaver owner that can offer there help and tools if needed. Or even a place to park for the night.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 04:50:49 AM »
Dick, if you're changing belts automatically anyway, just keep the last one as your spare.  I goofed this fall when Henderson's recommended changing ours, and it dawned on me too late to ask them to save the old one for me.

Bob, the service you refer to is basically already part of your FMCA membership.  Keep your January FMC issue onboard where you'll have a ready reference to any such local available assistance.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »
Thanks, folks.  This was a good discussion.

john brunson

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
"The 15 to 30 micron (sticks and leaves) primary fuel filter rarely becomes restricted enough to strand you, but the 2 micron secondary fuel filter can become restricted enough to strand you beside the road from one tank of lees than perfectly clean fuel."

This is awesome advice and I have one along with a strap wrench on board.  The thing I do not have is a priming procedure for this device.  Mine is a Magnum "Blue Streak" chassis 1995 model.  Both filters are remotely located just inside the bay door with no priming pump to be found.   When you power up the coach, I can hear what sounds like a day pump for fuel running for about 12 seconds.  I have not changed the filter yet... who is the authority on how to prime/ purge the fuel system for my exact set up?   I got the tools... just need some leadership here.

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 07:31:30 PM »
Most importantly... Cell phone, credit card and keep the Toad gassed up!
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

john brunson

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 01:27:34 AM »
Ok so I ordered up a new skylight from BCS yesterday and asked about this... The folks in the shop answered questions as best as they could, but without a doubt, there is more knowledge here.  They simply said to fill the new filter with clean fuel... I asked about filling with ATF ( a common practice around here) and they never heard of such....  I am going to buy a fresh Cat filter and fill the thing with diesel and see what happens here soon...

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 01:45:34 AM »
John, are you talking about adding ATF into the fuel system. If the answer is yes, that
practice is not used with today's electronic engines. Before the electronic engines came
into play this was a commond practice with many truckers. I can provide you Tech from
Cat on this thought.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic