Author Topic: 2001 Contessa battery question  (Read 5123 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
2001 Contessa battery question
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:17:16 AM »
I recently replaced both of my start batteries. I just checked the 4 Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries cells and found one cell bad in one of them. These four batteries are over four years old now but not sure of how many more prior to my ownership. I want to replace the one with the bad cell. Two of the others cases seem to get hot while in charging mode. Should I just bite the bullet and replace all four now to avoid other issues while on the road? I have no idea when these were installed by the previous owner so it may be time! Guess I am answering my own question.......?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 2001 Contessa battery question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:00:45 AM »
It's usually best to replace all in a set, otherwise the weakest (read oldest in this instance) will draw down those new and in the best condition faster than they'd otherwise age.  If the other 3 were equal in condition, and properly connected, I'd expect them to all be the same temperature.  I'd also be suspicious of the battery temp. sensor that should be helping control the battery charger.

My Interstate batteries are factory, and 10 years old, only recently showing signs of weakness.  Costco now sells Interstate, and they're better priced than most.  Given that and the stamina I've personally seen in the brand, I think you can guess where I'm getting new ones.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 01:56:45 AM »
Well, I bought 4 new Trojan T-105 batteries today from a local golf cart distributor for $97.50 each. The old ones were from September 2010 and had areas by the + posts that were bulged out and some disfigurement on the sides.

I removed them all and used some acid cleaner and brushed the rack up real good. I then painted the rack with Rustoleum, dried and installed the new batteries.

Everything seems ok now with the charging and we are good to go for a while now as far as the batteries are concerned. I think almost everything that can be replaced, has been replaced now. Now it's time to downsize our belongings in our house and work toward selling.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:56:03 PM »
Lamonte
in my experience over charge can be as bad as low charge.  After experiencing the bad temp sensor problems, it would seem good to replace it with new batteries.  This way you have a clean slate so to speak.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:06:29 AM »
LaMonte, you have bought new batteries as a complete set, this will save you in
the long haul on additional batteries ( cost ). Joel has gave very good advice, I
cannot tell you problems in replacement of one battery can cause. It also can cause
charging problems. Looking at a battery holder and finding a battery real hot has a
shorted cell and can blow up. Last thought working around batteries always wear
Goggles or good safety glasses. When a battery is shorted and is hot it can release
lot of energy if it blows up. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic