Author Topic: Back-Up Camera Monitor Adjustments?  (Read 4470 times)

D. Wendal Attig

Back-Up Camera Monitor Adjustments?
« on: April 08, 2016, 04:41:24 AM »
We have the Alpine/Panasonic back-up camera monitor that pops out of the radio, & folds up becoming about a 7" monitor. The back-up camera is one selection available on this monitor, but the view seems dim --sometimes during daylight very difficult to see, yet other info-selections avaliable on the same monitor seem brighter. The owner's manual hasn't yielded any solutions yet.

Is there any possibility that the camera is the issue, or are there settings on the monitor/radio that would brighten the image?

I have also tried using a monitor shade similar to those used on our GPS, to shield the monitor from direct sunlight, but don't see any noticeable improvement. Just living with it doesn't seem acceptable either.  Any similar experiences?  Solutions?  Alternatives?  Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Back-Up Camera Monitor Adjustments?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:42:58 AM »
Sounds like the camera is going bad. There are quite a number of replacement units on Amazon.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »
There is an adjustment panel for color and brightness within the Alpine unit. My unit did not look like color until I adjusted that monitor panel. I adjusted the contrast and brightness there also. There may also be auto dimming with the headlights on, some units have that as a "night feature". If you run with headlights on that could be causing a daytime issue if your unit has that auto-dim wired in and enabled. Worth checking before you go after the camera. It took awhile to find the adjustment panels in the Alpine menus, not always easy with that unit to get there from here.....

Later Ed

D. Wendal Attig

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 06:12:07 PM »
Since the Alpine unit seems to be tied into so many additional systems to deliver information, I am hesitant to replace it until I know for sure mine won't adjust. Fortunately I have several manuals for the unit and will see if I can chase down the color and brightness adjustments mentioned before I throw in the towel.

Have any of you replaced the unit? What brand/model number did you buy, and what features did you give up or gain, if any?

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 08:02:41 PM »
If it is the camera you should still be able to use the Alpine unit as the monitor. There are video inputs that the Alpine accepts, just disconnect the current video camera, and use another camera (recorder or otherwise) that has a video output, which is typically a yellow RCA connector to test the Alpine monitor panel. That would be after trying to adjust the monitor color, brightness, contrast etc.

Later Ed