Poll

Do you prefer pre or post transfer switch installation of the surge protector?

Pre transfer switch
2 (66.7%)
Post transfer switch
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 10:00:52 PM

Author Topic: Surge Guard Permanent installation advice needed  (Read 6726 times)

D. Wendal Attig

Surge Guard Permanent installation advice needed
« on: March 23, 2016, 07:37:05 PM »
Trying to answer the surge protection issue, am somewhat confused and need some guidance from the experienced..

Just finished reading most of the posts remotely associated with surge protection. As a new-to-me Beaver owner, (2002 Patriot Monticello) I'm in a bit of a quandry over how or where to install the protection device.

Since I will be operating my business online from the coach, surge protection is critical to protecting the coach and my gear. I'm hesitant to connect to external power anywhere until I have the right solution in place.

I have already purchased a Surge Guard Model 34560, which will accept a remote monitor panel.

As a DIYer for most things that don't involve extensive or heavy maintenance, I'm not afraid to take on this job, but have perhaps read too much confusing information about where to place it in the circuit, where to locate the unit itself, etc.

Here are some of my questions::

1) Where could I look to determine if this coach might already have surge protection?

2) Since I have an enclosed cable reel, where would I likely find cable access as a feed source?

3) Will the transfer switch likely be easily identified?

4) What do you recommend as the best option for installation point--before or after the transfer switch?

5) Correct wire size for the pigtail?

6) Do I really need a remote panel, and if I go that route, would it be better installed at the cable reel location for initial hook-up, or inside the coach for ongoing     
      monitoring?

Sorry this is so lengthy, but my internal debate centers around whether I can install this and do it correctly, or whether to sell it and purchase a portable.

Your help is appreciated more than you know. :)

Edward Buker

Re: Surge Guard Permanent installation advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »
I have a 2002 Marquis and it does not have a surge protector built in so it is unlikely that your coach came from the factory with a surge protector but one could have been added. The transfer switch on mine is on the ceiling of the storage bay near the inverter charger. That is a likely spot to look for the transfer switch or a surge guard if one was added.

I personally like installing the surge guard just after the transfer switch which then allows protection for the coach from both the main park feed as well as from the genset. In that case the transfer switch circuit board is not protected but those units are not very expensive, on balance it is better to protect the rest of the coach no matter what the power source is. If you install before the transfer switch the generator output as a power source is not protected.

6 gauge wire is typically used for 50 amp service but you can use the same gauge as what is feeding power in and out of the transfer switch rather than change wire gauges. You can also use the same type of wire in terms of stranded or not that is being used in the current wiring of the transfer switch.

Last but not least, I would use a battery back up and surge protector for the computer, wifi router, and printer etc...something like this. It looks big but is about 7.5 inches tall. These units are fast acting to really protect your computer using clean battery back up and a built in inverter circuit as a source when it is needed.

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1458759742&sr=1-2&keywords=computer+battery+backups

Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »
Wendal,
Another UPC option is http://www.amazon.com/APC-BE350G-Back-UPS-6-outlet-Uninterruptible/dp/B001985SWW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1458761027&sr=1-3&keywords=computer+battery+backups
I used it in my Marquis because generator shutdown would cause the sat receiver to drop out. Solved that problem and handled my PC and printer with no problems and is a bit less $. Provides 3 each UPS  and surge guard outlets.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 08:44:24 PM »
Wendal, on my Patriot, the transfer switch (TS) is on the forward wall of the storage bay that the inverter is in (port side just forward of the water bay.)

I put mine on the shore power side only because there is a built in delay in the generator side of the TS to protect the AC units.  I didn't want to double the delay and the liklihood of the generator failing in such a way that would cause a lot of damage is small according to most that I have talked to.  I mounted the Surge Protector along side of the TS between the shore power cable and the TS.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

D. Wendal Attig

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 11:50:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice so far.

I actually had purchased a UPS just a week ago to protect the computer equipment, but looked at that as an issue separate from the overall coach protection. Maybe the thought of redundancy was somewhere in the back of my mind. Yet I do understand the difference.

I lived in Clearwater, FL for 15 years, where up to 1200 lightning strikes per hour were registered and power quality was questionable. The UPS was SOP.
Here in Colorado Springs power quality and reliability is second to none so surge protection and UPS are not necessary. Guess I'm trying to prepare for the worst when we hit the road full time.

On the other fronts, sounds like my next step needs to be a trip into the main bays to find what you have identified. I'm anxious to discover where the 50amp cord (from the reel) will enter the bay(s).

If I don't use a remote monitor panel, how will I read the "lights" if the Surge Guard is buried inside the bay, which in my case is not accessible from both sides of the coach? Should I consider mounting it to the cord reel cover?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:34:19 AM by D. Wendal Attig »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 02:46:33 AM »
The surge protector just doesn't let the power through.  I haven't felt the urge to look at a remote readout.  It has only happened once that the power failed and I cycled the breaker on the pedestal and then looked at the surge protector to see the lights out.  Remote panel would have been nice but not necessary for me.  Power came back within 10 minutes.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »

If I don't use a remote monitor panel, how will I read the "lights" if the Surge Guard is buried inside the bay, which in my case is not accessible from both sides of the coach?

Mine is mounted so that it's lights are visible if I open the appropriate cargo bay door.  Since I know the meaning of the light displays I don't have to be close to it to interpret them.  Fortunately, there have only been a handful of times in the 5 years we've been fulltiming that the device earned its keep.  Those times were essential to keeping us protected, but I pretty much have the philosophy that if the SurgeGuard lets the power through then things are Ok.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 04:52:40 PM »
I have used a 50 amp Surge Gard unit in my coach for 15 years and I have never seen enough need for a remote panel for me to consider installing one. The unit does what it is designed to do without any input from you, and it does it very well. Just install it and forget it. If you plug into a bad shore power pedestal, it will not connect you, and the only time that you will ever need to look at the indicator lights is when troubleshooting the no power issue then.

Gerald 

Jerry Pattison

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:22:20 AM »
I agree with Gerald.  I have personal experience....install it and leave it and you will be happy!!