Author Topic: Tire Pessure listed on data tag?  (Read 5245 times)

Bill Sprague

Tire Pessure listed on data tag?
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »
My 2004 Beaver Monterey data tag on the wall behind the driver's chair says all six of my tires are to be inflated to 120 psi.  That seems too high when compared to the Michelin and Goodyear loading charts.

If you don't mind, would you look at your data tag and tell me what the tire pressure requirements are?

Thanks.

Gil_Johnson

Re: Tire Pessure listed on data tag?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
They should be the same pressure for all wheels on the same axle based on the greatest loaded weight of any single tire on that axle.  There's no reason to have all the tire pressures on all axles the same, unless the maximum wheel weight on any tire per axles is the same.  Sometimes the manufacture recommends the maximum tire pressure just to be safe.  Ultimately, they can't determine the pressure any other way as loading the RV is something they can't control.

FWIW, on my 2008 Westport 42, the ratings are not the same per axle from Beaver.

Gil

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »
Quote from: ]They should be the same pressure for all wheels on the same axle based on the greatest loaded weight of any single tire on that axle...[/quote
I think I understand that.  

But, what I'm trying to do is get a sampling of actual data plate numbers to see if Beaver changed what they were thinking either before or after when mine was built.  

If I inflate them the way Beaver suggests on the data plate, I could load my two axle coach to 43,420 pounds before the tires were overloaded!  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »
Bill-

If you're going to the Redmond rally, have the RVSEF weigh your coach, and then just go by the recommendation sheet they mail you afterwards.  I would advise them of the erroneous chassis/tire specs plate, though they won't go by the psi's on the plate;  just the axle ratings (I assume the data plate reflects your 20,000 lb rear axle, not a 23,000 lb one, and RVSEF has that info), current tire brand and size, and the actual 4 corner weights they measure.

The plate on our '06 37" Monterey says 100psi all around.  It came from the factory/BCS with 110psi all around.
RVSEF weighed the rig at the 2007 FMCA Redmond convention, and they recommended 95 front, 105 rear based on that fully-loaded result, the GVWR/GAWR, and the Goodyear load tables.  Our relatively short coach with a still beefy chassis has a 35,800 GVWR (12,800 front/23,000 rear), and is darned near impossible to overload;  we still have 3400 lbs of leaway.  If your coach is 40 or more feet, the numbers will differ, and certainly your 20K rear axle is a problem.

-Joel
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:22:09 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
I have some information to pass on which may be also related to any tires.  I recently had an issue with my toad a 2003 PT Cruiser in which I had a steering wheel vibration at speeds between 60-70 MPH.  I took it top my trusted mechanic here in Albuquerque, NM to determine whether the rim(s) were the problem as the local Goodyear Tire dealer said after installing new GYear Eagle II tires.  They had tried to tell me I had a bad rim.  My mechanic indicated that the rims were not the problem.  He suggested that I go to DISCOUNT TIRE and have them do "field force balance".  I did and found that the tires were in fact out of balance per that method of balance.  
This method is apparently more complete than the typical "spin" balance that most shops do when buying new tires.  (And what the GoodYear shop did).  I would imagine that this same balancing technique would apply to ALL tires.  If interested in the process you can check it out on the web at http://www.hunter.com/balancer/roadforce/4159T.pdf.  

As far as the tires on my coach, I have GYear G670 295/22.5.  I have my front's inflated to 110-115 psi and the rear duallys inflated to 105 psi. I used the G/year tire inflation pressure chart to arrive at these psi's.  I have not had the opportunity to have the coach weighed as yet.