Author Topic: Sat TV Question  (Read 7034 times)

Robin Goffrier

Sat TV Question
« on: March 28, 2016, 01:45:14 AM »
One problem with being a new guy is that most of these questions have been addressed previously and I don't want to trigger the"rolling eyes, ""Not again"" reflex.  But, .... here it Is. Our 01 Marquis came with a closed array sat antenna, to include an older Direct TV receiver.  When I had the roof done the tech told me the dish was the second installation and pointed out where the original had been mounted and the holes repaired.  We tested out the system and it is functional but tuned for Direct TV which does not offer a month to month plan, and we're usually only out for 2 or 3 months at a time. I have researched the open array units, which installed seem to be in the area of $2,500 +-.  I also came across the Winegard Carry Out G2, an automatic portable unit for about $500.  I'd like to know if any of you have experience with the portable.  It seems  to me that bang for the buck this has a couple of advantages, as well as the obvious disadvantages.  The disadvantage would be the lack of convenience that a hard mounted roof unit offers.  The advantages are cost as well as the ability to sell the unit independent of the RV at some point in the future.  Thoughts?, Thanks.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Sat TV Question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 04:18:18 AM »
I do not know what a "closed array sat antenna" is.  But here's what we have.  We have two DISH receivers in the house in Oregon and a third DISH receiver in the coach.  We can watch TV in the house in three rooms and in the coach in two rooms all at the same time.  Our one DISH subscription covers all three receivers.  When we're home we usually are watching TV in the house.  But we are able to also use the DISH receiver in the coach while it's sitting parked in our driveway.  But here's the great part.  We have a house sitter who lives in our house year round.  When we're gone in the coach for the Winter, usually five months or so, we're watching TV in the coach wherever we are, and he is watching TV in the house in Oregon.  The one problem is when we change the locals as we move around in the coach, then he is without locals on DISH because of the spot-beam technique used by the DISH satellite transmitters.  He can watch almost all the same channels we get except the local channels from 2 to 80 or so.  If he or we put an over-the-air antenna on one of the house TVs, then he could get the locals, just not through the DISH system.  The other nice thing is when we have guests from time-to-time, we put them in the "condo."  That's what we call the coach when it's home parked in the driveway.  In the condo our guests have privacy, their own bathroom, shower and bedroom, and their own TVs in two rooms.

The monthly charge for this is a bit expensive - about $145 - but the subscription is the DISH "Top 250 Gold" package with locals and The Golf Channel.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:09:51 PM »
Dish, definately from our experience.  The Weingard traveler dish works very well.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
In our previous gas MH, we had the Tailgater, which is the same as the Carryout, with Dish.  There were a few times we had problems getting a signal and we always locked it, via a cable/bicycle lock, to the MH.  We have Dish, with a Motosat antenna on the Beaver. We have only had trees block the signal one time.  I much prefer the roof mount for the convenience. Since we have Dish at home, we only pay an extra $7.00/month when we use the MH.  We have it turned off on the MH when we are home.  The signal to the TV seemed to be equal with both antennas.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:25:51 PM by Roy 'Chuck' Tyler »

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »
Robin,

We have a Carry Out mounted on the roof that we can take down and use on the ground if needed. I think it is a matter of habits if you want to go with a carry out type of antenna. If you stay for extended periods of time in an RV park with trees then many times you can choose a site with shade and yet find a spot with satellite view using a carryout on a stand on the ground. We spend alternate summers in one spot in VT with trees. If you move a lot with just short stays then the roof mount is more convenient. The other issue is viewing, if you watch programs together and one channel at a time is enough then a Carry Out will suit you. If you want two receivers and two different programs in the RV at times then the Winegard Travelor traditional auto dish with three LNBs is your best bet. Dish HD is a very good signal source. All of Winegards dishes work well.

Later Ed, 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:13:55 PM by Edward Buker »

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I'm probably using the wrong term.  The radar units on our boat were either open array or closed, meaning that the antenna was either exposed and could be seen turning or closed, covered with a dome.  Our current Direct TV setup is closed, meaning you can not see the antenna/dish as it is covered with  something that looks like Darth Vader's helmet.

Dan Murphy

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:05:59 AM »
Hey Robin

Good question. We have Directv with the roof mounted Traveler Antenna. We use the wireless Genie receivers and are able to watch two different programs at a time and also record other channels at the same time. We love it and we have only had a few times when our signal is blocked.

At times there have been trees in the way or it may just be bad weather like heavy rain. We always have shows recorded on the DVR that we can watch at times like this.The company offers free screening weekends on movie channels and I record a bunch of movies when we see one one these free weekends.

We have house sitters also at our sticks and bricks so we have 2 different accounts with Directv. The company will allow you to suspend service for up to 6 mos in any 12 mo period but that probably won't help you if you only use the coach for 2 months.

We are on the road or away from home for 6-7 most so it works for us. I have asked several techs and TV people about switching to the Dish Pay as you Go service and they have all discouraged me form leaving Directv.

They have said I would lose the DVR capability and the ability to watch different shows on 2 tv's.I'm still researching myself. This Directv is getting very expensive especially with 2 accounts.

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
We have DirecTV at home and have receivers that we move in and out of the coach when we travel. More receivers at home than the coach needs so we just turn off the ones we are not using. DIRECTV knows how many are on the account but they don't know where they are at any given point.
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley