Author Topic: Bilstein shocks in wrong location  (Read 4828 times)

Robert Richmond

Bilstein shocks in wrong location
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:01:43 AM »
Hello everyone.  My name is Bob Richmond from Glendora, Ca.  I just joined BAC yesterday. Been eavesdropping this forum for awhile now, but decided to join and make it more productive for myself and maybe offer some of my expertise to others.   We just purchased a 2000 36' Beaver Monterey Sea cliff double slide . Chassis is Blue Streak  4 bag 4 shock Magnum.

My first question to this forum is about Shock absorbers. I seem to have the same problem that another member had on his 1998 Patriot. All 4 shocks being rear units. Bilstien #24-020930 (old # F4-B46-2093). The Bilstein catalog calls for 24-186438 (old #F4-B46-2092) on front and 24-020930 on rear. The members name is joecpayne from Texas. He mentioned his dilemma on this forum and also on iRV2.com in July-2015. He said that the rear shocks are much softer than the front shocks, and by changing the front shock to a stiffer one it improved the ride and handling substantially.  What he didn't mention are the part numbers (which didn't make a difference at the time), but at this moment would help me a lot. So, Joe or anyone else. Confirmation of part numbers and any other information would be appreciated.

Second question: My Magnum chassis is Reyco Granning 510AR front and supposed to be 610AR in rear. Mine seems to be a little different because the Beaver Sea cliff double slide was not listed on any brochure until 2001. Build tag and registration notes year 2000. Built in June 2000. Anyway the rear is a  Reyco 240AR single axle which is similar to the 610AR, but a little more substantial. One of the reasons I found out was the shock mounts are totally different on the two suspensions, and after comparing the pdf drawings, I definitely have the 240.  So, this also raises a question on shock selection. Any one else have this combination?  Thanks for any input       Bob

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Bilstein shocks in wrong location
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Bob!
I wasn't able to find any added info on the Bilstein shocks, but did check Konis and found they spec front: 881490SP2 and rear: 881458SP2. However I was unable to find a cross from Koni to Bilstein.
The BAC Forum has a lot of reference info available that may be helpful. For instance the 510AR and 610 AR (steer and drive axle manuals). They are available by selecting the Private BAC Members Only board. Then select Link to Coach Assist and click on the hyperlink. Toward the bottom of the page you will see "Beaver Service Information by Steve Rankin". Select it and you find the 510 and 610 manuals by selecting "Suspension".

BTW, I added a signature to your Forum Profile, showing your coach model. We'd like to have that info and your engine to aide folks in assisting you. You can modify this info by selecting Forum Profile and going to the signature box. Be sure to click on "Change Profile" after making any changes.
Good Luck.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

William Ervin

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
Welcome Bob

Check with Matt up at Beaver Coach Sales, He's a Beaver parts expert.  I just talked shocks with him on my 96 Patriot, I would be really surprised if he didn't know the answer.   By the way he's recommending Koni's the BCS shop doesn't do Bilstein anymore, Koni's are more expensive :o but a much better MH shock.

541-322-2184 and push 4 for parts.... Is it bad when you know that off the top of you head....?

Robert Richmond

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:38:47 PM »
Thanks for input guys. Going to stay with Bilsteins .   Thanks again   Bob