Author Topic: DIY Replacement of Hydraulic Fan Motor 93 build Gillig chassis Marquis  (Read 3378 times)

Wayne Tull

I have replaced my leaking Hydraulic fan motor since I was unable to find seals for the failing unit.  I went with a unit from Gilllig that required some modification, but did not require me to have any new hydraulic hoses built.  The changes were the removal and capping of the bypass return hose (the new unit has this internally) plus an adapter on the output port of the pump.   

This project allows the expansion of your tool set if you don't own wrenches in the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch range as well as providing an abs workout.

Most of the removal and installation was straight forward. Of note was the installation of the fan motor bracket back into the rubber isolators which required more time an effort due to the tight fit.  I did not reinstall the fan and lower shroud until I had purged the air in the system and could check for leaks. It took a little over 2.5 gallons of ATF to top up the Hydraulic tank.  A new filter was purchased from Gillig (PN # 53-22412-002) for $14.75 +sh.  I was told the recommended replacement was 6K miles and 18K for fluid.  In checking service records this doesn't appear to have been happening. 

Concerns: There was a fair amount of glitter in the ATF that drained from the hoses when removing the fan motor and disassembly of the fan motor showed it was a contributor.  So now I wonder about the life of the pump.  I will be changing the filter and fluid after a few hundred miles.

Additional notes:  Top Hydraulic hose needs to be positioned to avoid fan blade.  The addition of the adapter seems to have made this more critical as if it wasn't already.  Putting something between the wrenches and the radiator also a good idea.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:20:30 PM by Wayne Tull »