Author Topic: Engine started then stopped after 3 minutes  (Read 2459 times)

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
Engine started then stopped after 3 minutes
« on: June 25, 2016, 10:54:10 PM »
Information that might be helpful to those who might have an air block while trying to start the engine.  Of course it won't start if there is an air block.  Here is my story. 
I have our coach, a 1990 Marquis, in the shop to have a new A/C put on the roof.  All was going well.  When the owner tried to move the coach to plug in the shore power to test the new A/C the engine wouldn't start.  I decided to call our "ace in the hole", Dave Atherton on what could be done.  He told us it sounded like an air block and the engine is not getting fuel.  While on the phone Dave walked us through the whole process of checking the plunger that's activated by the selenoid; hand pumping the fuel filter; loosening five of the injectors to bleed the air and check for fuel coming out.  After about 20 minutes the engine finally started and ran beautifully.  I had originally thought it might be a clogged fuel filter, but no it wasn't. 
I'm saying all of this because I want to tell all what a great resource we have in Dave Atherton,  He even took time from his job working on a commercial vehicle to spend time with us diagnosing and leading us through this problem.  After 26 years with this motor home I had never experienced an air block at any time.  Thank you, Dave. :)
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Nichols, Jerry Carr, John Bagwell, Michael Rump