Author Topic: Diamond Shield  (Read 10249 times)

Doug Allman

Diamond Shield
« on: July 12, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with getting Diamond Shield installed on their coach. Our 3M shield is beginning to look rather worn and starting to get spidering cracks all over. I know it is a bugger to remove but is what it is. Diamond Shield gave me some tips on what to use to complete it. I am also going to repaint, change headlights and add daytime running lights I am sure before we have anything applied.

Wanted to know what is best in 2016.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Diamond Shield
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:14:03 PM »
Doug,

My coach has Diamond Shield.  I have seen it put on and removed at the Tiffin Service Center.  So far, it appears to be a great product and comes with a lifetime warranty. 

It appears to be a much better product than the Invista Shield product that came on my 2002 Patriot.  BTW, it took 40 man hours of labor to remove that product from my coach.  Most of the paint underneath had to be repaired and decided not to replace after the paint work was complete.

Good luck removing your old clear bra product, hopefully some on this forum will chime in with their experience and tips on removing...

Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
I just had our 3M product replaced on our 2005 Patriot Thunder. It was a big job to remove it and they did have to repaint most of the front end. They convinced me to place another 3M product on the front by claiming the new product is much better than the product applied previously. We will see. I also replaced my headlights and driving lights. The headlights are now LED and much brighter than the original ones. It was expensive but worth it to me. The front of the coach looks like new now. Good luck on your decision.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 07:35:20 PM »
Larry,
What did they say was that much better with the new 3M shield then the old. Cost of the Diamond Shield is $1695.00 if they have to come a couple hundred miles up to me to do it or $1395.00 if I go to them. That is if it is shield ready.
I am sure I will get it paint ready as I want to do some differing paint on the front.
Know I want it shielded but just do not know enough about up to date shields.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 04:10:35 AM »
Doug a few of the members have been doing a bed liner coating over the top of the old finish, they have used color to match and I can say that the rigs I have seen with this finish look great.

I believe that Jeff at Bend RV service has been doing this work for members, he has also used this product on the roof it looks great and I think they have not removed the old coatings.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 05:00:26 AM »
Yes, the spray-on, bed-liner type of coverings are likely the best for both noses and roofs.  But the cost may be prohibitive... or just plan on keeping the coach for another 20 years.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Doug Allman

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »
You probably wont believe this but I own a business that does spray polyurea coatings and also what are called bedliners.

We are going to do a new roof coating on our Marquis in late July. You can spray it on or roll it on, mix in some granules for traction if you have to get on roof. I am going to roll it on. Cost for product is probably going to be $400.00 with shipping. It will last for 30 years plus and more if inside storage for portion of the year. We are going to use a white color that will stay white and not effervesce thereby eliminating the white streaking on the side of the coach. It will seal all and help with noise.

Now I have seen the bedliner on the front of coach's and it all looked good. I did the same to the front and rear bumpers of the 1991 Contessa. But sometimes you are so close to the trees you cannot see the forest, ME. I never considered a coating and then repainting -DUH!!!! Well I sure am now.

I want to do a little sprucing up of the paint on the front, not gaudy but I have never really liked the plain front of the Marquis. Actually I never liked the sides and rear when we first looked at it but it has grown on me very favorably so I want to in some slight detail blend that in to the front for a little more 2016 look. Make the old horse look like a newer one. We have completed a significant interior remodel as we decided to keep the C-12, Allison and Roadmaster chassis in the 2004 after talking to TY.

Thanks Jerry.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »
Doug I am sitting in the lot at BCS we have at least one maybe two rigs with this finish on the front if you would like me to take a photo I could do this for you.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
Would be glad to look at photo. TKS.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:57:28 PM »
Sorry Doug, I just saw your message. According to the folks who reapplied my 3M product the new version is much more resilient and does not degrade like the older product. As I said we shall see. I hesitated to have it reapplied at first but since we were driving the coach to Alaska for the summer decided to go ahead and go for it. The prices you were quoted are much less than I paid. If I remember correctly to remove the old, repaint the front, and apply the new product was in the 2,400 dollar range.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Doug Allman

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »
Larry,
The $1695 was only for the application. Did not include the removal and paint ready for the new which I understand can now get upwards of $3000.00 very easily as it is very difficult to remove.

We own a foam and coatings business and I am having several technical discussions with my suppliers this morning in regard to can I apply a polyurea coating (like bedliner) over the old 3M shield as it is securely attached and then paint and clear coat same. I want to do some small graphics to simulate other graphics on coach as I have never liked the plain front face.

We have two types of coatings, one will deaden sound (bed liner type) and other will not as it is like a ceramic when cured (used in food grade environments). They both have a 600% elasticity and I will use whichever we can paint over as I do not want to degrade the looks of the coach. Both will take a relatively high impact without damage.

I am going to coat the roof next week with a bedliner type white coating.

I am estimating for materials we would have $500.00 for coating and paint involved for the whole front cap. Labor I will know after we get finished but I imagine there will be approx 4 hours for prepping and spraying the coating. Paint & clear coats another 6 hours. Overall no where near the cost of removal and new shield, but may still put shield over because after 84,000 miles on coach there is no damage to front paint.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »
Doug you may want to give Roy Warren a call they did a wonderful job on his rig two years ago. He may be able to give you more info.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13