Author Topic: I hear noises.  (Read 4311 times)

LarryNCarolynShirk

I hear noises.
« on: September 03, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »
I am posting this message from Larry Krupp:

have a 98 marquis with the front end I feel rides rough.airbags seem to be full.I even adjusted the control rod an inch down , thinking it might soften the ride,  sounds like something is loose when you run the road and hit a bump does anyone have any idea or have had any similar situation.   Larry.  Nevada, Iowa  thanks for any help
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:39:31 AM by 14 »

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: I hear noises.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »
On our 1997 Patriot we had the control arm rubber bushing fail  and would get a "bump". Take it to a good truck frame and axle shop and they can check the suspension and correct. I know some good ones in FL but not Nevada.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »
A very long time ago I sold Neway air suspensions and Firestonte replacement airbags in a truck parts store.  I am not a mechanic or expert, but it is my understanding that the ride height adjustment is for placing the rubber bag at the optimum position on the aluminum cone for proper vertical motion.  Actual air pressure in the bag is determined by load weight alone.  To lower the ride height for the purpose of a "softer" ride is not likely to work.   Further, most, but not all, air bags have internal rubber bumpers to prevent complete suspension collapse in the event complete bag failure.  Therefore lowering the ride height puts those bumpers closer to together increasing the risk of contact in normal driving.

Don't lower the ride height!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:22:40 AM »
  Bill is right, never lower your ride height below the specified setting to improve the ride. The noise is probably caused by either a shock absorber bushing or one of the bushings on a track rod or trailing arm.

Do not try to repair the suspension yourself unless you have some experience in suspension repairs as it can be dangerous. Most but not all shock and suspension arm bushings are replaceable without replacing the part itself, but the part will need to be removed to press in a new bushing. Some suspension arms have molded in bushings, so they have to be replaced if the bushing fails.

Larry did not say which chassis the coach has. The 98 Marquis was built on two different chassis. The first 25 or so were built on a Gillig chassis, and the rest of them were built on a Magnum chassis. You will need to know which one you have to repair it.

If any of your shocks are leaking oil it is bad and should be replaced, other than that, I would repair the noise first, as that could possible be a safety concern, then drive the coach to see if the ride is satisfactory after the noise is repaired. Too often owners replace shocks in an effort to repair an unrelated problem.

Gerald