Author Topic: Wind Sensor Protection  (Read 8549 times)

Michael Kauffman

Wind Sensor Protection
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »
Hi all, We have a 98' Beaver with a Girard awning and anemometer (wind sensor). I recently had to drive under some low hanging limbs on a public street and broke the wind sensor. I just ordered a new one from Girard @ $145.

I remember seeing a home made remedy that looked like a little roll cage. Do any of you remember seeing this or know of another way to protect the sensor in the future?

Thanks, Mike Kauffman, Issaquah, WA
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:20:51 AM by 14 »

George H. Wall

Re: Wind Sensor Protection
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »
You may cover it with a small ' hanging basket' flower holder, minus the arms, attached to the roof with a window sealer.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:20:16 PM »
Check Tom Brown's post from last May, which suggests the same solution George does:  http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1273513145/s-0/highlight-wind+sensor/#num0

Also, from another forum come these ideas:
1. If you have both pieces, try to get some CA glue used on model airplanes and add accelerator when you have it the way you need it. It will be a permanent fix. Go to a Model shop and they will fix you up for less than 20 bucks for both items.
2. Velcro the device and mount to the roof so it can come loose without breaking if hit by tree limbs.
3. Buy a Walmart $1.59 measuring spoon set, then bend the spoons with heat to 90 degrees, and rivet and superglue them into place.

I dunno about a couple of those ideas  ??), but glueing the arms back on (#1) would be something I'd consider trying before antying up ridiculous bucks for an entire assembly I only need 10% of.   Then I'd cage the repaired assembly as George and Tom suggest.

All these awning companies gouge customers by only offering full assemblys instead of smaller, more affordable and practical subparts;  eg., Carefree window awning arms only come in pairs, which is a ludicrous waste if you only damage one arm.  By the way, some prices others on other forums have paid for the sensor assembly are far more than what you and Tom have  ;).

-Joel
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:17:19 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:19:15 AM »
Maybe that's why CareFree doesn't supply that anymore, even as a replacement part.  They sell a kit that replaces the anemometer with a vibration detector that gets mounted to the end of the arm, near the motor.  I did the retrofit and it wasn't too hard.  Running wires in a coach is worse than running them in a boat :-(

Gil

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:23:58 AM »
Yeah, I'd read some posts on the other Forum that mentioned a sensor on the end of the arm.  I wondered about that, as I haven't heard of such an animal.  Sounds like the way to go so limbs don't factor in anymore.  Thanks for the heads up, Gil  :).  So the kit includes some sort of cap for where the old rooftop unit was?  Were the instructions clear?  What was the cost?

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:34:28 AM »
While at the Bend Beaver service center this past September, I saw two different Beavers that used a metal(chrome) cage to help protect this device.  When I inquired regarding the device I learned that the person had acquired a condiment chrome container from some place like Walmart or other similar stores and had turned it upside down and mounted it to the roof.  Not sure whether this was by screws or affixing it with caulk.  It certainly looked like it would help baring a major impact.  I had to replace two of these "wind sensors" on my previous coach with a Girard awning.  
So far with my Carefrees I've managed to avoid any problems, but plan to look for the item I just tried to describe.

Will keep all posted if I find it.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »
Because of close evergreen trees, I wash our roof several times each year.  I broke the last annemometer with the brush just barely touching it.  Andre from Girrard replaced it in Redmond at a great price.  Thanks folks for the heads up as I haddent thought to protect the new one.  I am going to look for a heavy wire basket and attach it with acrylar on the roof so it will break away.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
Just make sure you use a galvanized or similar product to prevent rust stains.
I bought mine from Home Depot if memory serves me well.

Just a suggestion buy two, the first will be a trial the second the final fit.

If someone needs a pictue let me know.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:54:35 PM by 14 »

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »
Posting a pic on the forum would be nice.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 12:39:03 AM »
The retrofit kit includes a new controller, switches you won't need, and the new sensor.  The instructions were very well written.  As for the old unit, it just remains abandoned in place.  I don't know what it cost as it was a condition of my purchase.

Gil

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 03:54:05 AM »
Sailors use a stainless steel  cage comprised of two crossed curved bars drilled at each of the 4 ends to accept self tapping screws to mount over  deck fittings and instruments.