Author Topic: Oil Drain valve  (Read 3740 times)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Oil Drain valve
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:10:15 PM »
Hi I have a 05 cat C9 and I am curious if anyone has installed one of these and what Brand of valve did you use? I am thinking a engine is an expensive thing to run without oil!

Thanks
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
Re: Oil Drain valve
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »
Hi Jim. I just had the Fumoto valve installed on my last oil change. i've been running one of these on my Ram Cummins turbo diesel for a few years now and there has been no leakage and the way the lever locks it's not likely that it would get bumped into the open position.  I can now do my own oil changes and I don't have to worry about having a container that holds 36 quarts of oil!
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Mike Groves

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:22:54 PM »
I installed a fumoto valve on my C-12.  Last oil change the tech didn't see it until he'd already undone another drain.  The reason I had installed it was to make life easier for me to do the oil change but I've never been in a situation that I could do it myself.  Now that I am fulltime its going to be a one every two year thing for me along with the other maintenance items like lube/brakes etc.

Mike

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 04:15:37 AM »
Hi I have a 05 cat C9 and I am curious if anyone has installed one of these and what Brand of valve did you use? I am thinking a engine is an expensive thing to run without oil!

Thanks

I installed a fumoto valve on my CAT 3126B my last oil change last month. I figure it will make it a lot simpler to open and close as I drain it. A plastic clip can be ordered for a few bucks more that locks it in the closed position so it cannot inadvertantly open, even though it would be almost impossible to happen.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 04:59:49 AM »
Gentleman, a guzmo is fine but not fool proof. Myself would put some thought into the
idea before I would remove the fool proof drain plug. This is one area that not being serviced
only once or twice yearly. Yes there has been problems with the drain valves not seating tight.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Edwards