Author Topic: Valve adjustment on C-15  (Read 3733 times)

HollemanA

Valve adjustment on C-15
« on: December 30, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »
Dave, would like to get your opinion on how important the 60,000 mile valve adjustment is on my 2007 C-15? It is in the Manuel as a maintenance item. I have been procrastinating due to work involved in removing closet doors and boards in order to be able to remove the valve cover.
Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Art Holleman
08 Marquis

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Valve adjustment on C-15
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:03:08 AM »
Art, to answer your question ( sometime between 15,000 and 60,000 miles ) or between
the first and fourth oil change. Note: it spells out very clear to check / adjust and there is
.003 plus or minus window before adjustment is made. If you go Ask Dave, I can provide
hard copy of what is required in addition to checking valves and spec's. Same time checking
valve lash the engine compression brake and electronic injector requires attention.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

HollemanA

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »
Thanks, guess I will get busy!!!! art

Greg Kamper

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:59:35 PM »
I hope I can jump in on this... My 2000 C-12 just hit 50,000 miles. I bought it used, is there a way to know if my valves have been adjusted?

Rod Ogle

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »
Greg

I was in the same boat as you....no information on our C12.  A member of this forum suggested calling our local CAT dealer and ask them to look up our engine serial number in their system.  If the valve adjustment was done at a CAT dealer they should be able to give you that information.

Hope this helps.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 05:04:10 AM »
Gentleman, Dave has posted valve adjustment several times on the forum. Ask Dave has
copy, Caterpillar technical information as indicated to Art. One thing Dave would suggest
( do not attempt to adjust valves, injectors and compression brake ) without training on
correct setting on all three idems listed because all 3 are required. In addition to setting
valves and injectors and compression brake. Caterpillar has made it clear before adjustments
are made the .003 clearance plus and minus are with in window with feeler gauge, than
adjustment is not nessary. C-12 and up require all three operations listed above.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic