Author Topic: Samsung Fridge vs. U-Line Icemaker Issue  (Read 7084 times)

Dick Simonis

Samsung Fridge vs. U-Line Icemaker Issue
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:16:31 PM »
Recently Fred finished installing my new Samsung RF19 fridge which came out just great and I've been running if for a couple of weeks now just getting used to it.  When we installed it Fred ran a line just used a tee in the U-Line ice maker (located right beside the fridge)line and installed a shutoff valve for both the fridge and U-Line so i can use either, both or none.  From my initial observation the Samsung ice maker is wimpy compared to the U-Line but the U-Line has a problem with icebergs forming in the ice tray and may need to have the harvester replaced.

Now I'm trying to figure out if:

A)  I should repair the U-Line and use it as the primary Ice Maker (~300.00)
B)  Don't repair the U-Line and just use it for additional freezer space.
C)  Remove the ice maker completely and have Fred build drawers in it's place.  (???$600-1,000??)
D)  Don't repair the U-Line and use it as is (still makes lot of ice) on as needed basis and live with the icebergs.
E)  Something else.

I'm sure I'm not the first to engage in this mental exercise so I wonder what others have done.  Note:  we do use a lot of ice.

Thanks for any thoughts.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Samsung Fridge vs. U-Line Icemaker Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »
Margaritas do require tons of ice. ;D
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 09:24:47 PM »
Dick,
I agree that the Samsung is a bit slow on making ice. Our solution is to fill the ice bucket with ice (from home fridge or bagged ice) before leaving home. With that "head start" we found the SS could keep up with our needs. Might want to try it before investing $ in another solution.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:08:08 AM »
Fix the U-Line is my suggestion.  We dont have one anymore and I sure miss it.   
FYI we replaced the ice maker in our Norcold for about $85.  Its about the same as in the Uline.  Look online by model no.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
Kieth, I'm leaning towards keeping the  U_Line in operation but I've not found the inexpensive module you referenced....still looking.  In the meantime I'm tinkering with it and will use it as is and just remove the icebergs periodically like I have been doing.  As an alternative I can always fill the bucket from the Samsung ice maker when there is an excess.  This way I can spend the next summer travel season learning the pros and cons.

Travel from June thru Oct.....tinker from Nov. thru April seems to be my routine.

Carol Moffett

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 02:23:00 AM »
Hi Dick!
   Have you done a search for ice maker replacement on this forum?  I just did a search for "ice maker replacement" and it came up with scads of info on exactly what you are looking for!  Specificity, the second thread that comes up!  Good luck!
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
Dick, seems like we are on the same schedule.
The wife says the new ice maker came from a parts site with all kinds of appliance parts.  We got dishwasher parts there too.
The fix shouldn't be too bad.  Easier than in the refer.  after about 6 small black screws around the Uline trim the unit should slide forward.  have the water shut off in the cabinet and you can unscrew the hose connector.  couple quick wires and the unit is on the counter.
Good luck when you do the fix.  See you this summer?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
    Hi Dick, Can you post a pix of the ice berg? Is it a stalactite or a stalagmite? Either way it can be corrected.
   Happy New Year, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dick Simonis

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies, don't have a pic of the "burg" but it typically is down the back from the last cube mold where water runs down then forms a solid chunk in the back left corner of the bin.  I can pop the chunk out once a day and defrost every couple of weeks to get the ice off the back wall and from under the back of the bin.

I replace the water valve this summer....didn't help.  And I have had the ice maker sitting on the work bench since we got home.  I pulled the control head off, cleaned it up, replaced a couple of micro switches and set the cube size to minimum. Yesterday I hooked it up to power and water and the issue seems better but the mold still seems to overfill.

Oh well, it's working well enough so i may not worry about it but it's just a challenge at this point and I may play with the cam/switch action beyond the factory settings.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 12:14:01 AM »
     Hi Dick, is the water supply tube dispensing all the water into the harvester? or could there be splash back over the edge. Is the harvester level? Are the cubes larger from the rear than the front of the molded tray? If all that is good, it has to be the adjustment for cube size has an issue with the cam that dictates how long the water valve stays open. If that cannot be corrected, try a needle shut off valve to restrict water flow into the tray. Gotta love the adventure, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 05:47:37 AM »
I too was going to say that perhaps the water flow adjustment was out of whack.  I'd certainly check it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Rick Mayer

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 11:16:41 PM »
Dick, we love the U-line so much we got a second for the bar at home. They do make a ton of ice.
Rick Mayer
1993 Grand Marquis