Author Topic: TV Retract controller Fail?  (Read 3725 times)

Bruce Sieloff

TV Retract controller Fail?
« on: January 27, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
Went to raise the TV in the living area and it retracted with a step-step-step motion as if there wasn't enough power to the motor. It dropped back smoothly enough but after descending there was a clicking noise from the lock mechanism and a continued clicking from the control box pictured. It sounds like a relay in continual motion and only stops if the power to the box (the lower connector shown in the lower right) is disconnected. The box was manufactured by Electro-Kinetics. Anyone have a similar problem/solution for this?

Bruce Sieloff

Re: TV Retract controller Fail?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »
Turns out the manufacturer is still in business and these are indeed a user serviceable component. Lets hear it for relays! Not a solid state board in sight. The box can be removed and opened. Apparently there are two encapsulated timers that act as time out relays for raising or lowering the TV and after a period of time (14 years) they can get stuck in a reset loop. The solution is to replace them, they are made by Dayton and the part number is 2A559 and they are available through Grainger although I ordered them from Zoro a subsidiary of Grainger that was setup for individual purchases from the Parent company and doesn't require a business account. Interestingly they are $86 through Grainger and $63 through Zoro, so naturally I went the cheaper route so I can buy a bottle of something to ease the pain with the savings. The timers are wired with blue wires to one timer and red wires to another and the timers are adjustable via a knob on the case. The appropriate settings are .64 seconds for the Blue and .8 seconds for the Red according to the tech at Electro-Kinetics. They recommended soldering the wires to the terminals, which look like spade terminals to me, but I am going to try and use female spade terminals because I don't have a soldering iron with me. Hopefully this is the solution, it is possible to send the unit back and get it repaired, but because we are full timing I'm going to try the DIY approach first. I will update with my results.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett, LaMonte Monnell, Jerry Emert

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »
All done and works like a champ. The two timers are identical, just set for different intervals. It turns out the Red wires were .8 and the Blue wires were .6 on the existing timers and since everything works fine that is how I set the new ones. I did have to kill the power to the unit via the 50amp main breaker since as soon as I plugged in the harness the TV started to go up! The lugs were indeed compatible with 18 gauge female spade terminals so no soldering was necessary and they can always be soldered later if that is necessary. The mounting holes in the new timers are slightly larger than the old ones so I put a washer under the screw heads to keep things snug. Nice to have something work out correctly for a change.
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:53:02 AM »
All done and works like a champ. The two timers are identical, just set for different intervals. It turns out the Red wires were .8 and the Blue wires were .6 on the existing timers and since everything works fine that is how I set the new ones. I did have to kill the power to the unit via the 50amp main breaker since as soon as I plugged in the harness the TV started to go up! The lugs were indeed compatible with 18 gauge female spade terminals so no soldering was necessary and they can always be soldered later if that is necessary. The mounting holes in the new timers are slightly larger than the old ones so I put a washer under the screw heads to keep things snug. Nice to have something work out correctly for a change.
Looking at your pics and I have a completely different drop down TV in my 2003.  Weird.  Mine went nuts last summer, company was out of business so I was on my own.  Turned out I caused my own problem by putting a felt spacer in to soften the clunk when it went into the retracted position.  Drove me nuts for two days.  Finally figured it out and felt like an idiot!  Glad yours turned out like it should.  Congrats!!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH