Author Topic: Battery Isolator Relay  (Read 4104 times)

Bob Reeves

Battery Isolator Relay
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:43:46 PM »
the Big Boy battery isolator relay in my 07 Patriot Thunder continually is very hot to the touch.  I have noticed this when hooked to shore power.  Is this normal.  the  have both the chassis and house batteries turned on.  The charger is on and is float charging.  Ideas?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Battery Isolator Relay
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:06:20 AM »
Bob
We bought our Thunder last Oct. And are still learning the systems.  One thing I am familiar with is the charging relay.
This is the relay in the box in the engine compartment right?  Just so we are on the same page.

The batteries had been replaced in Aug of 16 but in Oct. The relay was hot and the batteries going dead.  BCS explained that the new Interstate D-4 batteries had a bad cell or two and were drawing too much power.  Further the relay is designed to charge one bank (chassis or house) to a certain level and then switch to charging both.  The switch over wasnt happening.
Might be a time for a battery system check?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bob Reeves

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 01:21:33 AM »
Thanks Keith
Yes the relay is in the run box in the engine compartment.
The chassis and house batteries were new 2 years ago.  Even this new they could stand a battery check.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »
Are you on Face Book? We are, feel free to look us up.
 Would love to see a pic of your coach.  Did you just buy the Thunder when you joined?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bob Reeves

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
Keith
I will check out your face book.....Will try to post a pic. We purchased our Beaver Patriot in Feb of  2014.  It was a bank repo out of Florida.  Had 12000 miles. it is the Bennington IV model.  Just joined Beaver Club last summer, went to our first Beaver Rally in Sept in the Black Hills.  Really enjoy this coach, it is our first Beaver.  We previously had a Safari Continental Panther.  They became part of the Monaco group.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »
Bob
If it wasnt said, welcome to the Beaver family.  We have some friends in the Safari club we dont see often but good folks . 
So, a Bennington with 12K miles.  What a deal!  Do you have th 07 brochure?  I do and was looking at your floorplan, nice coach indeed.
I will look to hear from you on F B.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!