Author Topic: Coolant leak somewhere  (Read 3588 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Coolant leak somewhere
« on: February 26, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »
Hi once again. I am having an issue with our 2001 Contessa. 3126B CAT motor.

I have CAT ELC in my radiator cooling system and have never had any issues with loss of coolant until my last two trips. Both of these were 3-4 hundred mile weekend trips and nothing seemed unusual.

Temps were 188-192 the whole time and no warning lights at all. After returning home I had to add a gallon of ELC to bring it to the center of the steel recovery tank sight glass.

After the second trip I have now had to add two gallons more. This last trip I checked everything out while still hot and running after getting home and could not find anything leaking. I checked all the hoses, all replaced a year ago. Also checked the whole engine out and the underside and found nothing leaking anywhere.

I have a 13# radiator cap(always have had this one)...

What else can I do to find out where the coolant is going?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Coolant leak somewhere
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
You checked for leaks - drips on the ground - under the whole length of the coach?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:04:34 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
I'm parked on gravel at home but I have looked everywhere for leaks underneath with bright light.

No leaks at all. I was just at Cummins for three days in Ocala getting the Generator 1000 hour done. Actually had Cummins raise RV up and had them look for any leaks while I was there and they did not see any coolant leaks.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
LaMonte,
When you checked it out after the last trip, had you re-filled the tanks? If not, the leak may not show up. That's too much coolant loss (IMHO ) to be coming out of the overflow tube so I'd verify all hoses have tight connections. The metal surge tank pretty much removes the possibility of a crack in the tank.  Since you've got the rear radiator, have fun..... :(
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:52:48 AM »
Sad thing is all of this :radiator, CAC, were all removed a year ago during the fan installation being backward and CAT saying I had a prior overheat issue. But it has been ok since they fixed all that....all new hoses, clamps, and everything flushed and reinstalled.....guess I will have to run it more and stop and look for a leak.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 02:33:16 AM »
La Monte.
I once had a coolant leak on a Cat 3406 truck motor that would only leak when the motor was hot and being hot it would dry the coolant and none would hit the ground. Found it by the staining on the yellow motor, was leaking at a hose connection to the block.
In your case you are leaking a good bit of coolant and you should be able to see something. But with the rad in your way I don't know how.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:48:03 AM »
Lee, I think it may be away from the radiator and engine area. I am more thinking the heater hoses somewhere from back to heater core.All the hoses on radiator and clamps were replaced over a year ago when the radiator and CAC were out at the CAT shop. Radiator and CAC were tested with pressure for any leaks and were fine.

I am thinking about taking it out and running it to get heated up and bringing home and looking toward the front more. I dont think it will heat up just sitting idling in the driveway.....It may just be a heater hose leaking. Its not showing any overheat issues at all by the gauges, all normal....

I never use the heater so I can bypass the heater hoses in a loop to see if that stops the leak. I just had it 2 hours away a month ago and stopped at a rest area to look for any leaks going to the ground and found nothing. Oh well, keeps me busy I guess.

Went to Auto zone the other day and came out to a huge caved in area on my pickup. No one around and no video on the building. Got to get estimate for that this week too.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 03:21:57 AM »
Le Monte, You might be on to it, if one of the heater hoses from the rear to the front are leaking, could be leaking into one of your compartments and getting absorbed so it would not hit the ground. Are there shutoff valves at the motor, if so turn them off and drive the coach to see if you still loose coolant.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:23:33 AM by Lee Welbanks »
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 03:50:46 AM »
Not sure of the shutoff valves. Will check tomorrow. That would make it too easy, haha!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:43:10 AM »
LaMonte,
In a pinch (no pun intended) needle nose vice grips work well for clamping off heater hoses. It took me a long time to realize my heater core was leaking. Fluid was both leaking out under the front cap when driving and some was getting in and wetting the carpet in very front by steering wheel shaft. Vise Grips got me home (AZ)  from east coast.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 05:08:34 AM »
LaMonte,
In a pinch (no pun intended) needle nose vice grips work well for clamping off heater hoses. It took me a long time to realize my heater core was leaking. Fluid was both leaking out under the front cap when driving and some was getting in and wetting the carpet in very front by steering wheel shaft. Vise Grips got me home (AZ)  from east coast.
Steve

Vise Grips to the rescue. Have done that myself with a couple car heater hoses.