Author Topic: Computer & electronics protection  (Read 2314 times)

Michael Hannan

Computer & electronics protection
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:35:11 AM »
I recently did some digging about the effect of dirty electric that can show up at some RV sites.  Surge protection is a good thing as is battery backup but neither of these protects sensitive computer & audio visual equipment.  I learned that what I needed was a line conditioner so it doesn't take me an hour to watch a 1/2 hour TV show because the audio visual receiver keeps shutting off because of power fluctuations. It also maintains proper voltage to the equipment to keep it safe.

This is the one I bought and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Tripp+Lite+LC1200+Line+Conditioner+1200W+AVR+Surge+120V+10A+60Hz+4+Outlet+7-Feet+Cord

Hope this is useful for someone.

MJ
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Lee Welbanks

Re: Computer & electronics protection
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 05:14:07 AM »
MJ,
Only once did we have a problem with shore power, it would blip and the inverter would take over and then switch back to shore power. The only way I knew the thing had switched was the A/C shut down.  Had it happen a couple times. My Progressive Ind Sure Guard handles all the power to the coach, it will not condition the supply but does protect the coach.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »
the device you describe is designed to provide support for up to 15 amps  of service. For it to function correctly it would need to be connected between shore power and any in-line surge protector you may have in your coach.
since it only supports 15 amps of service it is far more likely that this device would be plugged in via one of the coaches internal 15 amp circuits. If your coach has a  Surge Guard 50A connected between shore power and your power transfer relay, the surge protector would define the line conditioning parameters.   The Surge Guard 50A is designed to operate in a range between 102v  and 132v anything outside that range wont be passed. Therefore, the voltage regulation capabilities in the Tripp Lite LC1200 would be limited to the operating rage of the coach's surge protector.
 One alternative that has been discussed in the past is a Hughes Autoformer RV220-50SP which is capable of providing voltage regulation for the entire coach. This isn't a cheap solution but it does provide an alternative that addresses the entire coach.

Michael Hannan

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »
Thanks Keith.  I was looking at a voltage regulator from the folks who make the Surge Guard surge protectors.  It does  the same but it's $500 more than the one you suggested.  I'll be getting one soon.

MJ