Author Topic: Slideout stuck  (Read 6763 times)

Adam Hicklin

Slideout stuck
« on: March 24, 2017, 04:43:20 AM »
Greetings Beaver Brain Trust

My single, large kitchen slide is stuck extended.  When I put it out, there was a slight delay after I pushed the switch. I should have stopped there but nooooo....it extended with no further problem.  Now, won't come back in.  No click, no nothing. Switch is completely dead.  Question:  is this a possible switch problem?  I had the switch replaced a couple years ago because it was acting tempermental. Now it's completely dead.  Is there a relay somewhere?  Is so, where might it be found on a 98 Marquis?  How else would I go about diagnosing it?  Electrical is not my forte.

Thanks in advance.

(Luckily its in my driveway, but we're supposed to take off on Saturday)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Slideout stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »
Adam, try turning the ignition switch on (not start) then off again and try the button. Still nothing?   If the jacks work then its a switch or relay IMHO.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
Adam,
There is a little information that will help in diagnosing your slide issue. First, do you have hydraulic leveling jacks? If you have jacks and they are operating normally, since the pump and pump control solenoid are the same for both systems they can be ruled out as a problem. The diagnostic problem then evolves into checking the circuit voltage at different points in the system to locate which component is causing the problem, and I would start at the most problematic item in the system, the switch.

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »
Thanks guys.  I got the slide back in.  Friday I pushed the button and it worked. I'll be checking in to it more today.  Gerald, I do have hydraulic levelers but I haven't used them in a long time.  I'll try those first.  I was poking around and found the slide out relay in the electrical bay.  It is in a different spot in the bay from where the chart shows it should be and it has some different types of wire leading to it which leads me to believe it has been replaced at some point in the past.  Can relays be tested with an ohm meter?  If so, how?  Thanks again. 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
Adam,
Relays can be checked with a volt meter. The signal from the switch will come in on either pin 85 or 86, depending how they wired it. The other pin will be ground. (Alternatively the switch might supply ground, then the other pin would be tied to 12V, although this is not common). Pins 30 and 87 supply the signal to the load. One will be tied to 12v, the other will be open until the switch is engaged, then it will see 12v. See the diagram here. https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Truck-Relay-Socket-SPDT/dp/B007JPPQH6  If you suspect the relay, it's often simpler to just replace it. They are available at all auto parts store for about $5.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:32:54 AM »
Just a little more info.  Hydraulic levelors work fine, so we can rule out the pump.  I tested the incoming voltage at the slideout switch and it is about 8V. However, the battery on my multimeter needs to be replaced.  I don't know if that would affect the reading.  Question:  why would the switch only be getting 8V?  Is that possible?  Could that indicate a faulty relay? Coach batteries are showing 13.4 volts at the moment. 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:02:23 AM »
Adam,
If the meter reads 13+ v at the batteries and 8v at the switch input, the meter is OK. Sounds like you've got a high resistance connection ahead of the switch. Have you tried pressing the switch and seeing what the voltage does?
Steve
Steve

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 05:03:14 AM »
Not yet Steve.  I'll try that tomorrow.  Thanks. 

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 04:34:49 PM »
Steve, I checked again with my functioning multimeter.  I have no power to the switch.  So I'll backtrack to the relay.  I have a couple extra relays, can I just switch it out?  Do I need to disconnect power, turn off batteries, etc?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »
Adam,
I'm not sure how your coach is wired, but I don't think the problem is a relay, as the switch normally energizes a relay. I suspect either a blown fuse or bad circuit breaker. Check the diagram for your electrical bay. If it's wired like the 2000-2003 Marquis, it probably has a circuit breaker for slide power and a couple of terminal block connections for slide switch power and slide switch out. The side switch power should be the switch input and slide out, the signal to drive the pump motor. The circuit breaker is a thermal reset type that will open when it get hot and reset when it cools down.  If you've got 12v on the buss bar, you should also have 12v on the circuit breaker terminal. Oh, and be sure the ignition is off. If it is on the slide circuit is disabled.
Steve
Steve

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:01:39 AM »
According to the electrical bay diagram the only mention of slideout is the relay which has been moved from the original position according to the diagram.  Nothing on the diss bar designated for slide.  On the HWH control box, which is mounted to the roof of the electrical bay, there is a schematic but that only shows fuses and connections for the leveling system.  No indication on the schematic of anything in regards to slideout.  Where else could a circuit breaker or fuse be?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »
Adam,
The fuses are on the isolator board in the battery bay. Also, check the wiring at the pump solenoid. Ken Carpenter noted that they ran 2 sets of wires to the pump, one for the leveling and one for the slideout. See if you have poor or corroded connection(s).
Steve
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:10:20 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
Had similar problems with a troublesome slide and after several failed attempts by others I went to HWH who found low voltage caused by a corroded cable at the pump manifold as the cause. 

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 05:45:41 AM »
Update- it was the relay.  I think the relay had been replaced previously because it was in a different place than noted on the legend in the electrical bay.  Luckily it was marked with a piece of making tape.  Now on to the next......opportunity to learn something.  Thanks for all the input.