Author Topic: Cummins Fuel Sytem  (Read 2705 times)

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
Cummins Fuel Sytem
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »
I'm embarrassed to admit that I've discovered that I don't know what kind of fuel system I have on our 95 Patriot with a Cummins 6CTA8.3 engine. Is it a CAPS or something else? I thought I knew.
The reason I ask is that I have been collecting info regarding changing the failure-prone electric lift pump in CAPS fuel systems with a FASS pump. My intent was to replace the stock pump. However, I have never been able to hear anything run for 30 seconds after the ignition is turned on, as I had been told to expect. So I never have located said electric pump.
The final straw that has confused me totally was that while troubleshooting a hard-starting problem at Orange Grove RV Park in Bakersfield CA 2 weeks ago, the mobile tech from Meyer's Diesel found a loose and slightly leaking fuel intake hose to the lift pump (how a 90deg fitting on the end of a hose gets loose where it goes into the pump is beyond my understanding, but that's another issue). He removed and resealed it, solving the problem.
He had removed the primary fuel filter to check for blockage, and when he was installing the new one, he began to fill it with clean diesel. When I asked him why he didn't just let the electric lift pump fill it, he patiently explained that I had a mechanical lift pump. He even showed me where the manual priming pump button was located on it (on the side of the pass side engine block). Did I feel....uhhh... a tad stupid??
So, what kind of fuel pump system do I have?

BTW, Meyers' Diesel Repair dispatched Raul to our location (30 miles from them) withing 1/2 hour of my call, and only charged me $1.50 per mile plus his time on the road and at our site. They were very supportive; the tech knew what he was doing, and I can heartily recommend them if you need help in the Bakersfield CA area in the future. The coach started and ran flawlessly after his ministrations.  Their number is 661 615-1200, and they are located in the NW outskirts of Bakersfield at 9606 Enos Lane (Hwy 43).

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.

Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Gerald Farris

Re: Cummins Fuel Sytem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:02:14 PM »
Andy,
The CAPS (Cummins Accumulator Pump System) equipped engines were introduced in 1998 when Cummins converted the 8.3 C Series engine to the ECM (electronic control module) controlled ISC engine. Your engine is a mechanically injected 8.3 C with that I think is using a Bosch injection pump. The cam operated mechanical lift pump on your engine is very durable and not prone to failures, so I would forget your lift pump replacement plans.

Gerald   

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
Re: Cummins Fuel Sytem
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:41:46 PM »
Thank you Gerald. Turns out I WAS confused. The mechanical 8.3 turns out to be just like the Ford Lehman in our Grand Banks that has a mechanical lift pump and a gear-driven injection pump. It's sometimes hard to clearly see stuff on the coach, what with standing on one's head under the bed!!

Sometimes I get off on these crazy tangents. Thanks for straightening me out (he sez, red in the face!!!).

Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA