Author Topic: C-13 valve adjustment done  (Read 4730 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
C-13 valve adjustment done
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
Just had the valves adjusted on my 2005 Patriot Thunder (C-13) at the local CAT dealer. The tab was just over $1,200! Shop foreman, who did the work, said access wasn't as bad as some he's seen. Foreman said 4 adjustments were done per cylinder. I guess I have variable valve actuators on this engine. Anyway, I had the adjustment done as I could find no record of the previous owner doing the valves. Rig had only 35k on the odometer when we bought it. So the valves are done.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Gerald Farris

Re: C-13 valve adjustment done
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »
Bill,
Your c 13 does not have variable valve actuators. The four adjustments per cylinder included one exhaust, one intake valve, the Jake brake, and the injector height.

Gerald

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:26:40 AM »
The mechanic said he had to remove the VVA to get at the valves, maybe I'm not remembering his exact term, but he had to remove something in order to adjust the valves. In addition, he had to set the injector height, adj the Jake mech at each cyl. Sound right?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Groves

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 02:30:18 PM »
Wow, I've had that work quoted at around $400 to $500.  Where is that local CAT Dealer?  Was the issue the "access".  I know that mine, with no rear slide is easier to access.  Like you I have not been able to determine that a record existed that the work had been done, but I got mine at 65000 miles and I would therefore assume that someone, though not necessarily a CAT dealer, did the work.  Although I may be wrong, the engine has performed fabulously including both Jakes, and I am just very leery of having it opened up at this point.  I may change my mind but wow $1200 just to adjust some clearances seems way too high!

Mike

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »
Mike I did the routine adjustment a number of years ago at Petersen in PDX they did a good job and the rig was in the shop for about 5 hours mostly due to accessibility. I had a discount coupon from Petersen but still paid around 8-900. Our PM called for the valves to be checked at 30K if I recall its not a fun job on the C-13 in the PThunder 06 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 01:38:34 AM »
Valve actuator Caterpillar C-13, gentleman in all due respect yes the Caterpillar C-13
does have valve actuator. Note: going to Ask Dave February 7 of this year, we had this
question come up before and yes you will see picture I had Steve Huber post for Ask Dave,
The valve actuator. Any Caterpillar engine that has a compression brake or Jake brake
Valve actuator is present. The slave piston lash adjustment must be preformed after the engine valve lash adjustment is preformed. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic