Author Topic: 1991 Beaver Contessa hydraulic leavelling jacks  (Read 2351 times)

Dick and Izzy Ellis

1991 Beaver Contessa hydraulic leavelling jacks
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:05:29 AM »
I am in the process of restoring a 91 Contessa. I have managed to find most the info I have needed but do not know what kind of leavelling system it has. One of the rear jacks does not retract all the way. It does not stay out the same amount but usually is 4 to 4 inches out.
Any of you have any ideas for me.
Thanks
Dick

Edward Buker

Re: 1991 Beaver Contessa hydraulic leavelling jacks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »
Dick,

I had an 89 Contessa and it had 4 levers on the floor, one for each jack, that would manually be operated for extend and retract. It was a simple system with an independent set of leds on the dash that were calibrated to sense level and changed status when a quadrant of the coach level was correct. It was made by HWH as I recall, and the retract was by return spring when the lever opened a valve. Not sure if things changed by 1991. If you are not retracting and it is this system you could have a weak spring or possibly a bent ram. These coaches if the rear wheels were raised enough to lose ground friction they could fall off the leveling ram and the jacks would pivot (not in a controlled manner) in the direction of the fall with a crash. That could have damaged a RAM before you got this coach. If it is the same system, this coach could not go through all these years without that happen a number of times.

As I recall HWH was written on the floor plate so I am thinking you may have a different system.

Later Ed