Author Topic: Hydro Hot Radiator Cap (getting it off)  (Read 5072 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Hydro Hot Radiator Cap (getting it off)
« on: June 02, 2017, 04:52:38 AM »
I need to take my radiator cap off to check the fluid level. As you can see in the attached picture, to take it off requires downward pressure, and a twist. (Extremely difficult to exert downward pressure when your hands and body are below the plane of the cap). As soon as I do the twist, the edge of the cap that has to go down far enough to travel, catches on the screw that tightens the hose clamp. I would like to reconfigure the hose clamp, but I don't want to loosen it without knowing whether or not I'm going to get a bay full of boiler anti-freeze. Can someone tell me what will happen when I loosen that hose clamp?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hydro Hot Radiator Cap (getting it off)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 06:20:21 AM »
Stan,
If you follow the hose it should lead to the expansion tank. If so, that is the only fluid that you could lose. Suggest using a vise grip and clamping off the hose (needle nose vise grips work well for this). Then you can remove the clamp and cap. The only fluid loss then may be a bit from the main tank. Be sure to do this when the unit is cold.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Stan,
If you follow the hose it should lead to the expansion tank. If so, that is the only fluid that you could lose. Suggest using a vise grip and clamping off the hose (needle nose vise grips work well for this). Then you can remove the clamp and cap. The only fluid loss then may be a bit from the main tank. Be sure to do this when the unit is cold.
Steve
Excellent tip, Steve! Yes, the hose leads to the expansion tank, which is what I have always looked at to ascertain tank level. However, I have read here in other posts that I should actually be looking in the tank. I have a set of needle nose vice grips, so I'm good to go. I would love to meet the engineer who stuffed all of this stuff behind a 3 foot wide door, but that's another story!  :D
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 06:31:50 PM »
Stan,

Be happy you have a standard radiator cap.   Shortly before yours was built they used "boiler caps".  When the gasket ages out it costs up to $100 for the cap.   

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 03:03:07 PM »
Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Update:

I got the radiator cap off (the vice grips were invaluable) and was able to peer down in to the tank with the help of a strong light and a mirror. It was almost a pint low. Filled it to the brim, replaced the cap, fired 'er up and checked for leaks. So far, so good.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
All,

Just wanted to ask why it is necessary to look in the tank to determine the Aquahot fluid level???
I check the level in the plastic expansion tank when cold, then cycle the Aquahot until it shuts off.  I then check the hot expansion tank level and add as required to bring the level to the upper limit in expansion tank!
Of course you need to determine the fluid concentration and add either antifreeze or distilled water or a mixture of both.

Regards,

Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 06:56:26 PM »
I believe I read on this forum (can't remember the author - perhaps the "Aqua Hot Guy" Orman Claxton, or the esteemed Ed Buker) that checking the expansion tank in the manner you describe is not sufficient.

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 04:42:49 AM »
If the expansion tank is level with or below the height of the top of the Aqua Hot unit, a defective upper seal on the cap will allow air to enter the coolant reservoir and it should be occasionally checked. But if the expansion tank is above the Aqua Hot unit, a defective upper seal will cause a coolant leak at the cap.

Gerald

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »
Gerald,

Thanks for the explanation. 

Regards,
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV