Author Topic: Motorhome left at repair shop  (Read 3706 times)

Dan Murphy

Motorhome left at repair shop
« on: June 07, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »
 Yesterday we left our coach at a repair facility. They said it could be several days and they would try to work it in between trucks since it is mostly a over the road truck shop.
We had cleaned out the fridge and turned off the inverter. When I left it I showed them how to use the keyless entry. Now Im wondering if the batteries run low will the keyless entry work with low voltage??
I'm pretty certain they will not be plugging the coach into any power. I was thinking the solar panel will keep the house batts ok but then I thought what if they park it in the shade??
We have never left the coach anywhere that it was not plugged in or in the care of people familiar with motorhomes.
How do others leave their coaches for repairs and such?? What precautions do you take to safeguard the batteries and other components.
I even woke up in the middle of the night thinking the automatic generator start would probably start the generator and how long would it run and would they know what was going on if it did start?
Im only 1 1/2 hours away should I go back and do something else?? Any comments??

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Motorhome left at repair shop
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
I think we all stress a little leaving the coach for repairs. You could call rather than drive or they will call you. While in Florida in 08 had the coach in for simple oil change and worried they would not grease it in the toughest areas and they didn't. Had to go back for the drive shaft and trailing arm that goes over the axle.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »
I don't  know about keyless entry.  I suspect you will get a call if the generator starts. 

The one thing BJ and I  had trouble with was the fridge when we left our Monterey with Monaco in Coburg a few years ago.

We emptied the fridge, turned it off and left the door open.  Some one needed to move the motorhome and was worried about the doors banging and closed them.  Mold likes to grow in warm damp spaces.  Lots of it.  It looked like a science experiment!

The fix was BJ spending a couple hours playing with bleach and Comet and me buying special class from Camping World that would securely hold the doors open.  The Dometic in our new rig  came with keep open clips.   

Bill

Dan Murphy

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 09:19:28 PM »
I don't  know about keyless entry.  I suspect you will get a call if the generator starts. 

The one thing BJ and I  had trouble with was the fridge when we left our Monterey with Monaco in Coburg a few years ago.

We emptied the fridge, turned it off and left the door open.  Some one needed to move the motorhome and was worried about the doors banging and closed them.  Mold likes to grow in warm damp spaces.  Lots of it.  It looked like a science experiment!

The fix was BJ spending a couple hours playing with bleach and Comet and me buying special class from Camping World that would securely hold the doors open.  The Dometic in our new rig  came with keep open clips.   

Bill

Bill
How long did Monaco have your coach?? I was hoping to get it back in less than 2 weeks so we shut the doors so they would not bang when they moved the coach but I think I better call them and tell them to open the doors to the fridge now.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »
Monaco only had it a few days.  Hard to remember for sure.   Maybe a week.   Mold, in the  right conditions,  grows at list speed.  Or, maybe not at all.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 02:08:43 AM »
A good thing to do if you ever have to empty your refrigerator and turn it off.  Put a dark, clean sock filled with dry coffee right out of the can in the reefer.  It will last for months, keep the refrigerator dry and not let mold build up.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens, Jim Murray, Karl Welhart