Author Topic: How do I add oil?  (Read 3078 times)

Andrew Bruemmer

• BAC Member
How do I add oil?
« on: June 20, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »
Took my new to me 2002 Contessa to the local Cummins shop for fluid changes.  Due to scheduling mix up on their part they could only do the generator.  My engine oil is low and I want to add some but I can't figure it out.  I found something above the radiators in the back that seems to be labeled Engine Oil Fill.  But how do I open it up?  There is a nut and a metal ring I can remove but then that is all that comes off easily.  The screw still remains in a rubber plug?  Do I need to pry that plug out?

It's also up really high so can't access it easily to pour in oil so I thought I should ask first before trying to force something.
2002 Beaver Contessa 40 Tuscany - 3 slides
Cummins ISL 370
2012 Chevy Equinox Toad
Blue OX Avail tow bar
SMI Air Force One

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: How do I add oil?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:26:59 PM »
Andrew,
Loosening the nut will reduce the diameter of the rubber 'plug" on the other side of the cap, allowing you to remove it. Tightening the nut will expand the plug to seal the tube.  To fill, I used a long piece of heater hose with a funnel stuck in one end. Not fun but it works.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Bruemmer

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »
Andrew, I had the same issue with height so I bought a 1 Qt fill device with a long plastic tube on the bottom along with a valve so you can position it before all the oil comes flowing out.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Andrew Bruemmer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:57:53 PM »
Ok got the plug out!  I didn't want to force it without being sure.  I think mine isn't so pliable anymore so it doesn't change shape when the nut is loosened.  Finding something with a shutoff is a good idea.  Thanks for the help!!
2002 Beaver Contessa 40 Tuscany - 3 slides
Cummins ISL 370
2012 Chevy Equinox Toad
Blue OX Avail tow bar
SMI Air Force One

D. Wendal Attig

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »
I tried several (irritating) methods for adding oil to my 2002 Patriot Monticello, and finally found a workable solution. Like one of the previous replies, I found a one quart hand siphon pump that is sold for the purpose of adding oil to the lower end of an outboard motor. Found mine in the boating section at a Wal-Mart, though all Wal-Marts do not have a boating section if not located near a lake. The critical thing to note is that the screw on section of the pump with only fit a small mouth style one quart bottle. When making this purchase, I went to the automotive section, and held the pump (in a blister-pack) up next to a quart of Rotella 15w40 and noticed while the pump would fit the quart bottle, the mouth on the 5-quart size was going to be too large. So, I bought the pump, the single quart and the 5 quart (or gallon) too and a funnel.  When adding oil, I now fill the quart bottle from the larger size, and store the pump attached to the same quart bottle when not in use. Having said all of that, I have tried many siphons, etc, but the oil viscosity rendered many of them useless. This one worked for this DIYer, but still takes alot of effort to pump a quart of oil or more into the filler tube/engine.

This is typically not a problem for commercial shops with pressurized pumps and a shepherd's hook tube they can hang into the filler tube.