Author Topic: Gen and 15 amp hookup  (Read 2297 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Gen and 15 amp hookup
« on: July 02, 2017, 10:00:52 PM »
Currently hooked up to 15 amp house circuit at my son's cabin.  As expected, the coach AC pops the circuit breaker.  Question: if I want to run the genny to power the AC, do I need to disconnect the 15 amp line?

Gerald Farris

Re: Gen and 15 amp hookup
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 10:52:05 PM »
Lawrence,
You coach has a generator priority transfer switch. So if you crank up the generator, your transfer switch will automatically disconnect you from the 15 amp shore power circuit and connect the coach to the generator output as soon as the generator stabilizes and starts producing power. Therefore it is not necessary to unplug.

Gerald

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:02:02 PM »
Lawrence, Gerald is as usual right on but he has in the past cautioned against having a heavy load on AC when turning on your generator as it can eventually damage your transfer switch.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:12:24 PM »
Though I've foolishly done it in the past, I'd never again try an AC while on even a 20 amp circuit.  Besides, it's common on such a relative/friend's garage circuit or other parking scenario to run a lengthy cord, and often an orange size 14.  The longer the route the more the voltage drop.  I now carry a yellow 12, but still wouldn't use the AC on it.

The AC motor, like any other, takes a lot of current just to get turning momentum from stopped.  Any voltage drop means not enough umph pushing current through that the motor needs.  You're lucky if the breaker goes before something else more costly.  At least a 15 amp may do that, and from that standpoint protect better than a 20, which may hold out long enough for a cord connection, start capacitor, or compressor motor to burn up - that's pretty spendy compared to some diesel for the genset.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat