Author Topic: Replacing the rear view camera  (Read 2775 times)

Bill Staley

Replacing the rear view camera
« on: July 22, 2017, 04:27:41 AM »
The previous owner replaced the rear camera with a wireless one which now doesn't work consistently.  I would like to go back to a hard wired camera with a separate monitor using the original coax.  When I look in the space where the rear camera was, I find 2 coax cables.  I think I have the correct one for the camera, but am trying to figure out what the other coax might be.  Would it possibly be a power source?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Replacing the rear view camera
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Staley

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »
Still trying to make original coax for the rear camera work.  It's well marked on both ends but there must be a connection or something in the middle somewhere.  Has anyone traced the path the coax takes from front to back?  I have a coax line identifier/tester.  It indicates voltage on the line, but the VOM doesn't show any.  There is a well marked 3 line A/V cable going into the Kenwood.  So far I haven't been able to find where that connects to the coax from the back.  I've gone through all the wiring diagrams with no success.  Would be great to have some build docs.

darell ottoson

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 08:14:08 PM »
Bill,  To check the coax cable disconnect it from both ends. Check for AC and DC power from the center pin to outside of connector on both ends. If no power is present jam a ball of aluminum foil into connector on one end. This is to short the center pin to outside of plug. At other end with the multimeter on the ohms scale measure from center pin to outer outside of plug. It should read 0 or very near 0 ohms. Remove the aluminum foil and do the same measurement and you should max out on the ohms scale. If last two events happen you have found, verified and tested the cable full run is good.