Author Topic: Brakes for Tow  (Read 4282 times)

Robin Goffrier

Brakes for Tow
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:07:48 PM »
Looking for a little experienced advice on Toad brakes.  My last coach was an'01 40' Marquis with a C12 Cat.  We towed our 2016 Jeep 4 door Wrangler behind it for about 10,000 miles all around the US without brakes.  Never an issue of feeling of concern.  We now have an '08 42' Contessa with a C9S and the same tow vehicle.  One big difference is the effectiveness of the engine brake on the Contessa versus the Jake on the old Marquis.  The jake was very effective. The C9 engine brake is not.  I would appreciate input on equipping the tow with brakes.  I can anticipate hearing that it is always a good idea as well as the law in some states, but from a practical point, is it necessary? (loaded Jeep is about 4,800 pounds)  Also, if necessary then what system is recommended for best value and reliability?

Thanks.
Robin G/Bend, OR

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Brakes for Tow
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »
Robin,
A search for toad or tow braking system should bring up a number of posts re the various systems available. The main purpose of a toad brake (IMHO) is not to help the coach stop or reduce coach brake wear in normal operation, although it does both. If you have to stop quickly, e.g. panic stop w/o a toad brake, the rear of the coach will rise. The toad will push on the receiver, tending to raise the rear even more, reducing the amount of contact/friction the rear coach tires have on the road surface and thus reducing your stopping ability. With  a properly adjusted brake system this problem is greatly reduced or eliminated
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:22:31 PM »
Hi Robin, I use a brake buddy system on my 2001 Contessa. But if I was to change I would use and AirForce 1 air brake system. Quite simple to install and easy to connect an air line to your DP.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
I personally appreciate our Jacob's "Pac-brake", Robin, but admit not having driven a rig with a Jake to compare with.  Perhaps it's just a matter of adjusting to the different feel of an exhaust brake.  Ours has always worked as intended, as long as I understand it's limitations and adjust my driving accordingly.

As to auxiliary brakes I'll echo Steve's comments, and would not stress my coach systems nor lengthen my stopping distance by being without one.  As reading pertinent Forum searches will reveal, few are disappointed in their aux. brake choices, regardless of brand or model.  We have faith in and use Roadmaster products, including their Brakemaster.  That said, if I were to get a new one I'd seriously consider their more recent Invisibrake product for its pure convenience, which is likely worth that model's extra bucks.

You might want to read this:
http://backroadtravelers.com/auxbrakesys.html

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joe Moreschi

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 12:13:50 AM »
Hi Robin,I have been using an Invisabrake system for years and am very happy with it.There is a control knob on the unit that allows you to increase or decrease the amount of braking to the toad.Very easy to use and small enough to install under the seat,or anywhere else for that matter.

Chuck Bayman

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
Robin take a look at the M & G Brake system. I put on our
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara last year and I really like. Very easy hookup.

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:43:13 PM »
Once again, I thank you all.  This is a wonderful source for experienced comment and advice.  I had done a search on the forum site and read previous discussions, but current opinion is always nice.  I look forward to gaining enough experience in the old Beav to be able to contribute.  Thanks again.

Robin G