Author Topic: Tag Axle Brakes not releasing  (Read 2554 times)

Mike Stuart

Tag Axle Brakes not releasing
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
The Tag Axle Brakes on my 02 Marquis don't release properly.  I only discovered the problem once I installed tire pressure/temperature monitors.  After the brakes are applied, the tag axle tire temperatures will increase much more than the other six tires.  Both tag axle tires seem to experience the heat build up, with the left tire a little more so than the right.  The draggin isn't enough to cause smoking/burning smell unless the brakes have been used heavily (like coming down a mountain road).  I had the dulie calipers replaced as well as one dulie rotor this winter.  I had all brakes inspected then.  No issues and all pads had a good amount of material.

I'm going to get this looked at, but does anyone have a thought what might be causing this? 
Also, from an earlier post I note that these brakes are most likely Meritor ADB.  Does anyone have experience? 

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Re: Tag Axle Brakes not releasing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:15 PM »
Mike, you do have Meritor ADB. Your problem could be several things. The brake calipers have grease fittings that require clay base grease. The slack adjusters must be adjusted properly or the linings will drag on rotors. Also there are helper springs that can be installed to help release caliper from rotor. The wrong grease in calipers can also cause drag. This topic has been discussed on forum many times. Search Meritor brakes and you should find all the info that you need. Hope this helps!! Frank.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Pat Long

Re: Tag Axle Brakes not releasing
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:21:06 PM »
Mike, you do have Meritor ADB. Your problem could be several things. The brake calipers have grease fittings that require clay base grease. The slack adjusters must be adjusted properly or the linings will drag on rotors. Also there are helper springs that can be installed to help release caliper from rotor. The wrong grease in calipers can also cause drag. This topic has been discussed on forum many times. Search Meritor brakes and you should find all the info that you need. Hope this helps!! Frank.

Mike, What Frank is talking about is correct about the clay grease Only for the Meritor calipers.  But when you are pumping grease into the housing you must also open the port between the jerk fitting's to allow the grease to flow out filling the sealed cavity, and then tighten the bolt to reseal.  You may just have an over-adjusted slack adjuster.   And also the springs that Frank is talking about is a Rockwell update kit part number KIT15018 that is installed on the caliper slide pins.  I have purchased 6 kits and installed them on my coach seamed to help with draging calipers.  If you would like to purchase the Rockwell kits the best price I found, after my purchase is one eBay right now, auction number 322637041345.