Author Topic: Toilet leaking into tank cabinet  (Read 3654 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Toilet leaking into tank cabinet
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »
Toilet bowl recently started leaking down fairly quickly.  Assumed it was the flush ball seal that I replaced 2 years ago.  But I found the water is leaking into the cabinet that holds the gray and black tanks.  I can see it dripping quite fast from the ceiling of the cabinet with the toilet drain pipe comes through.  Could this be another toilet ball seal?  It would seem that a failed ball seal would leak into the pipe that goes into the black tank rather than outside of it.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Trying to determine if this is a do it myself job or take to the repair shop.  Thanks
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Gerald Farris

Re: Toilet leaking into tank cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Rick,
It sounds to me like you have two different problems. One leak at the flush ball seal and another leak at the floor flange or pipe connection below the floor flange.

Gerald

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »
I've replaced the ball seal - fairly easy job. 

What's the replacement of a floor flange (seal) look like?  Hard to imagine a problem with the piping but... 

Previous owners installed marble tile floor. Hoping that won't result in access issues. 
Rick V
43'
C12

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:57:55 PM »
Rick
Just an educated guess here but I am thinking the previous owner did not change the mounting ring to allow for the difference in thickness between the original ceramic tile and marble.   Does the marble go around the toilet or under it as well?

I have not done this in a motorhome but have in  many homes so the toolet flange may be different than I imagine.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
Keith,

You raise an excellent point.  The porcelain bowl itself is likely elevated by the thickness of the marble.

One way or another I might have an issue related to that.  I noticed that when looking at the ceiling of the cabinet (under the toilet) somebody had filled the opening around the toilet pipe with silicone.  Seems it might have been leaking for quite some time and is getting worse and just noticed by us.  We are not full timers and most camping trips are weekends only.

If the tile thickness is the culprit, and suggestions for the right way to resolve?
Rick V
43'
C12

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »
If the drop down cylinder from the toilet is not matching up with the pipe in the floor, thus leaving an open gap between the toilet and pipe, then is an (maybe extra thick) wax ring with a downward pointing "funnel" something to consider?  On another note, I am thinking if the black tank ever got full and backed up the pipe to the toilet, then all bets are off... even for those of us who don't have a leak.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Extra-Thick-Reinforced-Wax-Toilet-Bowl-Gasket-with-Flange-and-Bolts-7514/203764000

Last year our toilet was not firmly attached to the floor.  It would/could rock side-to-side just a bit.  I removed the toilet to find the wood screws had become loose in the sub-floor and one/two of them would not tighten.  I made up a small cup of plaster and dumped it down the holes and before it set-up I replaced the toilet and screws.  The toilet has been staying firmly in place with no sign of rocking... and no sign of leaking.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.   

I had assumed that the drop down pipe was
affixed to the pipe that goes into the black tank rather
than sitting into a seal like a home toilet. 

Does anybody here have a drawing of the
Toilet piping into the black tank?  I've found
The diagram of the Magnum Opus toilet but
That drawing stops at a flange seal at the
Bottom of the drop down pipe.   Wondering
How it is connected to the pipe that goes into
The black tank.

Really sorry for all the questions.  Am obviously
A rookie

Rick V
43'
C12

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »
Rick
We are all rookies every time an issue pops up that is new to us.  This is one for me so I can only relate this to what I would do in a home.  The tail piece has to be longer  if the flange is moved up.  If the toilet flange is in its original place but the toilet is  raised to the marble tile level , the gap is there.  Clearly the problem is preexisting with the filler around the pipe through the floor.
Hope this helps!  Welcome to the Beaver family.

David
Good call on the loose screws in wood floor.  If it holds up, great.  If you do have problems, try a product called ' Rock Hard Putty' when set it is so tough it will hold those screws even under those conditions.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 02:48:04 AM »
The problem was (in fact) two issues as suggested.  First, the flange seal at the floor was leaking and the ball seal had calcium build-up that was causing the bowl to leak down.

Thank you again for your guidance.  Truly appreciated.
Rick V
43'
C12