Author Topic: Aftermarket add-on equipment for Caterpillar engines  (Read 3072 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Aftermarket add-on equipment for Caterpillar engines
« on: October 25, 2017, 06:15:02 AM »
Bought this up before add-on chip/tuners to your engine. Been working with non-beaver
RV owner loss of power, heating up and will not start when warm. Motor home has 27,000
miles, new Heui pump and injection actuation pressure sensor, now six weeks later and 600
miles later broke down along side of road in Idaho. Motor home towed to freightliner service shop
than removed to a Caterpillar service shop. What has caused problem add-on Edge EZ module
Over driving the Injection actuation pressure sensor, Cat ET code 164-04 and 164-11 injection
actuation pressure system. Anytime the voltage is changed on the group of five volt sensors
such as over driving more voltage problems will happen. Very costly learning experience.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Bob Stone, LaMonte Monnell

Mike Shumack

Re: Aftermarket add-on equipment for Caterpillar engines
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:09:50 AM »
Thanks Dave. Always good advice.

Do you usually find the CAT engines are putting out well less than then their advertised HP/Torque ratings?

For example on this YouTube video of a 505HP C13, the dyno shows it putting out much less than the 505HP (only putting out 456hp and 1400 lb-ft). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl--fZLzPOo
Is that typical? Is it worth putting coach on a dyno and getting an electronic tune?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:41:23 PM by Mike Shumack »

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
What about adding a module to increase fuel mileage? Would that do any harm?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
Gentleman good morning, my personal thoughts on this subject regardless of what you
may read or hear. Do not change anything on your engine unless Caterpillar recommendations
change. I have over the years been involved in many repairs because of modifying or
installing a gizmos to increase power, fuel milage increase turbo boost etc., yes you can
just about buy anything But it comes with a price. The only advice Dave would suggest,
Caterpillar can increase the horsepower in different electronic engines and it is up grade
to fall within Caterpillar spec’s ( this is the only way to modify engine ) with Cat ET service tool.
What has happened with the Kings in Idaho Falls, this gizmo changed voltage to components
and changed sensor and regulator voltage to cause engine to go into derate after leaving
information trail on history readout on Service tool Cat ET. Event code 255 times than maxed
out count. Again Caterpillar engine will run trouble free without any add on Gizmos.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Mandy Canales, Stan Simpson, LaMonte Monnell

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:47:45 PM »
Mike,
The You Tube video you were watching was an infomercial that was trying to sell you something that you do not need. The dyno test that they were showing was at the rear wheels, and not at the engine. If you take into consideration the loss in power through the transmission, intake restriction, exhaust back pressure, engine accessories (alternator, A/C and air compressors, and hydraulic pump), and final drive (differential), the engine being tested was probably producing spec horsepower and most importantly spec torque.   

Any changes that you make in the programing of you engine to increase power will also increase the need for more air and cooling because of the excess heat generated by the engine in producing that power. Your engine is capable of producing more power, but like Dave said "at a cost".  The C12 marine engine produces an excess of 700 HP, but it has water to water cooling and huge air intakes that your coach does not have. So unless you are willing to spend large sums of money, and a lot of time to correct a problem that you do not have, leave your ECM programing alone.   

Fred,
You have a C 12, the most economical big block diesel used in RVs. Leave it alone, for the same reasons cited above.

Gerald     

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »
Thanks for the info.
I was not considering or suggesting an aftermarket tune-up or chip. I was just wondering if it was useful to have my engine dyno'd by CAT to be sure it is running properly and putting out HP and Torque it is rated for.

I thought if the engine in the video was putting out 45 HP less than what it is rated for - mine might be too. But your point about flywheel HP versus rear wheel HP is well taken. That engine in the video was probably putting out its rated 505 hp at the flywheel.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 04:03:25 AM »
Mike, maybe I can explain little information about Caterpillar engine power difference
using a for example Cat C-12.. Your engine has a serial number that will tell a person the build
Date and the date the engine tested and shipped. With your engine using the S/N will
tell you results of testing and shipped with engine spec’s ( horse power, torque boost
pressure etc.) at this point than your engine will be assigned a Arrangement Number.
Moving on to another Caterpillar C-12 the build date may be different and engine testing
may have less horse power and a different Arrangement Number and engine spec’s different.
Mike if you would like and maybe answer your question about horse power. If you provide Dave
with your engine serial number and I can give you all the build history and all engine
spec’s at testing and shipped. If your engine horse power is less than build and test date
Caterpillar will have a record of and any H.P. Changes to comply with EPA reg’s. This is
a very good question that will give a person better understanding his engine rated for.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:32:34 AM »
Fred, getting back to your question better fuel milage answer is no. The post I passed along
happen to be for fuel milage /power, again Aftermarket add-on install connecting to sensors in the
Rated for 5 volts and over drives voltage well above Caterpillar spec’s. With the heui injection
system the injection pressure Regulator regulates high pressure oil to operate injectors. Increasing
voltage above rated spec’s to regulator lowered the high pressure oil to operate injectors.
Hope this answers you question. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook