Author Topic: EZ Pass  (Read 5015 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
EZ Pass
« on: October 28, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
I have never used the EZ Pass. I understand that a lot of our members use these for the RV but if towing how does this work and where best do we purchase the pass?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: EZ Pass
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:33:24 PM »
We use I Pass from Illinois, but it works in all EZ Pass locations as well, and vice versa. We use the "truck" I Pass, which is blue in color, so we can input the number of axles on the coach and the toad. We also have a white automobile transponder in the toad, used at home and when traveling after parking the coach.

To avoid being double charged, we remove the white transponder from the windshield of the car, wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in the glove box. We have never had a separate charge from I Pass or EZ Pass for the toad while we are traveling, car in tow.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
What is an EZ Pass and what is it for?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »
What is an EZ Pass and what is it for?

It's a transponder that attaches to your windshield and allows you to go through dedicated toll lanes without stopping to pay. You have an account set up with an amount charged to a credit card. As the amount is depleted, at a certain threshold, there is an automatic charge to your card to replenish the funds. All activity is available online.

Since tolls are assessed by axle, most transponders are for autos and two axles. There are "truck" transponders that allow the user to input the number of axles going over the toll lane.

I'm not sure about anywhere else, but in Illinois tolls are DOUBLE if you don't use a transponder, and have to stop and pay.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:51:38 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
Two years ago while in Texas we used a toll road to leave Houston.  We did not stop at any booth but received a toll bill a few months later.  Their system must have taken a picture which included the RV's or toad's license plates.  And from those license plate IDs, they looked us up in the Oregon DMV computer system.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joe Rhea

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »
Jerry:
I secured my E-Pass from NY and covers several northern states. NY has a special rate for motor homes. I purchased one for the coach and one for the car. I do not put the tag in the car while being towed. I have not had a problem with charges in the last 3 years of use. I went on line to www.e-zpassNY.com. There is a 25 dollar deposit for each tag and a pepaid balance of 40 dollars.
Texas has one called the E-Tag which is good for the Houston area and other parts of the state.

steve zannella

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:19:57 PM »
Jerry

We live in California and have a toll road transponder that only works in our state so when we travel to the other 49 we use Illinois IPASS transponder this is compatible with all 49 states toll roads and you do not have to be a resident of Illinois to obtain one. You can setup your account for RV and Toad. We have used it all over New England and most of the mid west works great plus you save time and money.

https://www.illinoistollway.com/tolling-information/about-ipass

Steve

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 09:06:58 PM »
Steve,
Have you tried it in KS, TX or OK?  They have an inter-operability system but they don't accept the transponders from other systems according to what I read on the web.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 11:13:46 PM »
Steve,
Have you tried it in KS, TX or OK?  They have an inter-operability system but they don't accept the transponders from other systems according to what I read on the web.
Steve

TX has several passes in use in the State each of which is issued by a local authority.  We happen to have the one issued by Harris County (Houston).  All TX passes have reciprocity throughout the state. 

OK says that it has reciprocity with one of the TX passes from the northern part of TX.  Our Harris County passes weren't valid in OK.  I haven't tried them in KS.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 11:16:30 PM »
We use I Pass from Illinois, but it works in all EZ Pass locations as well, and vice versa. We use the "truck" I Pass, which is blue in color, so we can input the number of axles on the coach and the toad. We also have a white automobile transponder in the toad, used at home and when traveling after parking the coach.

We use a regular Maryland white EZPass transponder in the MH and have never had any issues with respect to axle count or weight (which is how the PA Turnpike charges).  AFAIK all the toll lanes are equipped with axle counters so they always know how many you have.

Joe Rhea

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 12:15:10 AM »
The NTTA (North Texas Toll Road Authority) is good in OK, Kansas, and pretty sure Illinois.