Author Topic: oil pressure sensor for Aladdin  (Read 2366 times)

Joe Rhea

oil pressure sensor for Aladdin
« on: November 03, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
I think I have a bad sending unit for the Aladdin system. The pressure goes from  0 to 127 back and forth until it warms up a little. Of coarse I get the check engine light and warning.
Does anyone have the part number for the sending unit and is it a direct replacement?

Thanks Joe

Larry Shelton

• BAC Member
Re: oil pressure sensor for Aladdin
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
Joe, I had the same problem. Going down the road Aladdin pressure would ocassionaly drop to 0 and cause engine to degrade. My mechanical gage on the dash would show proper oil pressure. Take your engine serial # to the Cat parts man and he can fix you up for about a $100.00.  The sending unit is located on the right side about middle of engine looking from back of coach. You will need to remove the overflow coolant tank and then stand on your head to get to it.  Good luck Larry
2006 Monterey
C9 400 hp

Joe Rhea

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
Larry
I believe I see two sending units  one with a single wire going to it the other had a 3 wire plug which one is which
I don't have the overflow in the way but do have the reservoir for the power steering and fan

Larry Shelton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:13:35 AM »
It is the one with 3 wires. It goes to a triangular  connector on the sending unit. You will also need a new o ring.

2006 Monterey
C9  400hp
2006 Monterey
C9 400 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 04:40:22 PM »
Joe, the oil sensor causing problems in most cases is ground. The operating voltage is
5:00 + - 0.25 VDC is part of a group of five volt sensors that are all five volt and have
Share same spec’s.   The part number Caterpillar 161-1705
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Joe Rhea

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:03:48 AM »
Thanks Dave
Picked one up from Cat today. They are proud of them.
Is the ground hooked to the grounding stud on the engine? There are several small white wires on it.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 04:14:20 AM »
Joe, your 161-1705 pressure sensor is connected to group of five 5 Volt sensors that includes
Atmosphere Pressure Sensor, Engine Oil Pressure Sensor, Fuel Pressure Sensor, Injection
Actuation Pressure Sensor, turbocharger boost Pressure Sensor.

The troubleshooting procedures for the diagnostic codes of each pressure sensor are identical.
The engine control module sends a 5 Volt supply to terminal A of each sensor ( location on
Top of sensor wide part pin A left side ), the sensor common connection is connected to
 Terminal B of each sensor ( location on top wide part pin B right side ). The signal voltage
From terminal C of each sensor ( location on lower part of sensor female plug. ) is sent to
the J2/P2 ECM connection. Location of J2/P2 connection on ECM front side of ECM looking
from rear of engine to front.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Joe Rhea

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »
Thanks again to all
The sensor was changed this am  was a SOB to get to.
Pressure is reading  currently.

Joe