Author Topic: Radiator Trouble Again  (Read 6963 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: Radiator Trouble Again
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »
Larry, your posting has me worried. That's a lot of $ to shell out. What about the Charge-Air-Cooler? Was it tested or replaced since you've owned the coach?

Also, do you have the internal transmission cooler, or the separate tranny cooler (which reportedly have issues too per this thread http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,6682.msg48277.html#msg48277 )?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:01:48 PM by Mike Shumack »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 12:32:03 AM »
Charge Air Cooler was tested and is in good shape. The transmission cooler is incorporated in the radiator. Thank you for feeling my pain. It was a huge disappointment to discover the original repair had failed in 5 years. I’m certainly going to be over zealous now with the cooling system checks.
Larry Fisk
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:35:20 AM by Larry Fisk »
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 12:39:54 AM »
Another concern for me is the repair guys added tap water to the system instead of distilled water after flushing the system. I questioned it but did not force the issue. How important is using distilled water instead of tap? Is it important enough to ask them to drain the system and use distilled water instead of the tap water they used? Thanks for all input.
Larry
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:41:41 AM by Larry Fisk »
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 01:23:48 AM »
Another concern for me is the repair guys added tap water to the system instead of distilled water after flushing the system. I questioned it but did not force the issue. How important is using distilled water instead of tap? Is it important enough to ask them to drain the system and use distilled water instead of the tap water they used? Thanks for all input.
Larry
I'm so far from an expert that I can barely spell it!  But... I've always been told not to ever put tap water into any kind of radiator.  Did it anyway when I was young and poor but wouldn't even think it now.  Good luck with getting it straightened out.  I live in fear of these big bills.  I feel your pain.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 01:26:20 AM »
Thanks Jerry, I should have been more demanding after spending $9,800. I think I’ll give them a call tomorrow.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

George Harwell

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 11:51:19 PM »
Larry, I will never use tap water except in an emergency. It can contain minerals that you don't want in the radiator and engine. The problem with tap water is not knowing it's source. Was it filtered, treated or direct from a well. Have a happy Thanksgiving!
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 12:02:13 AM »
Thank you George, I contacted the repair shop and told them I would like them to drain the system and refill it with distilled water and coolant. He said they have always used the tap water and never had a complaint. I explained that the other customers were probably not into cooling system repairs over $20,000 in the last 5 years either. I also went to the Indio Water Authority website and read a comment on there that the Coachella Valley ground water was hard and contained mainly calcium and magnesium. He then agreed to drain the system and refill with distilled water.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine
The following users thanked this post: Rick and Laura Stephens, Jim Nichols