Author Topic: Girard 2000 Awning issues on a 2001 Contessa.  (Read 2531 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Girard 2000 Awning issues on a 2001 Contessa.
« on: November 04, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
Yesterday I checked the awning for proper extension and retraction. It worked correctly the first time. The second time when I extended it half way then stopped it, I hit the retract button on the remote and it went out farther.

Now both buttons are extending the awning! The stop button is ok but the other two are extending it. Changed the remote battery but no change.

I called Girard technical support and spoke with Jason. He doesn't think it is the motor, but something to do with the circuit board or a relay sticking.

Has anyone had this problem, as Jason has never seen this happen before?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Girard 2000 Awning issues on a 2001 Contessa.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:15:04 AM »
Yesterday I checked the awning for proper extension and retraction. It worked correctly the first time. The second time when I extended it half way then stopped it, I hit the retract button on the remote and it went out farther.

Now both buttons are extending the awning! The stop button is ok but the other two are extending it. Changed the remote battery but no change.

I called Girard technical support and spoke with Jason. He doesn't think it is the motor, but something to do with the circuit board or a relay sticking.

Has anyone had this problem, as Jason has never seen this happen before?
Finally narrowed down the issue. Jason at Girard tech support is great to work with. He had me eliminate the limiter box as they stopped using them a while ago. Took that out of the equation. I removed the motor assembly and bench checked the motor operation. Extension working fine, but retraction was iffy. Sometimes it worked, other times it extended, and then it would hum and do nothing at other times. Diagnosed as motor on its way to the graveyard......ordered a new motor being shipped fed ex.......another brand new part for the relic.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jeff Ramey

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »
Ouch! I was in Florida visiting the inlaws just after we purchased the coach, and I extended the awning electrically and the motor quit. Tried to retraction it manually but, someone previously had attempted to do so and it totally chewed the worm gear up on the interior of the little gear box used for that function.  We were to leave for Key West in the next day or so, and it took me a a whole day to figure out how to retract the awning manually without the benefit of the hand crank. 

I removed the screws from the end plate, exposed the motor.
Disconnected electric wires from motor 
Pulled motor partially out of the awning housing and used the hand crank receptical as a lever to rotate the whole motor/tube assembly to retract the awning.

The Dear Wife stood in the bed of her father's truck parked under the awning, and helped push the awning past the "break" point of the hinges as I rotated the motor/tube assembly.

The whole evolution was very dangerous as the awning was heavy and wanted to extend at the speed of gravity if released at any point, taking anyone hanging on to it in say, a pickup truck bed, or perhaps standing on a ladder holding on to a partially removed electric motor, with it.

I had removed the motor completely at an earlier point and photographed the label. I looked up the info for it on the internet and after hours of comparing and calculating the least expensive and time sensitive option, ordered it and had it FEDEXed. The exact same motor from the OEM supplier, with the hand crank option cost me around $500.

It's still sitting in the box in the Coach's basement until I feel like messing with it for a full day or so... with help.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:38:21 PM »
Jeff, I'm not familiar with Girard awnings, but had a bad experience with our Carefree one, hanging over a freeway-side dropoff in the Canadian Rockies.  It may be possible to insert a pin at one or both hub ends that will keep the tube from spinning while you work on it.  But also consider a rope from one end up and around some firmly mounted roof device, or over the roof to something anchored on the other side of the coach, and looped back over to the other end of the awning, so gravity can't make it such a hazardous situation while messing with the motor.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat