Author Topic: Sewer smell inside coach  (Read 4426 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Sewer smell inside coach
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:50:36 PM »
Already know what you are thinking.... the roof vent must be clogged or the stool needs to be tightened down.  The vents are clear and the stool is tight with a new seal ring. I also made sure the cap is tight on the sewer drain. So... why does my coach stink when driving down the road?  Once I stop and it sits awhile the stink goes away.  Any help would be appreciated.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Sewer smell inside coach
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 10:54:46 PM »
Fred
Just my two cents but we have the same problem sometimes.
1)  do you have the kitchen slide out?  If so the culprit could be the flexible drain line.
2)  The grey tank smells worse than the black.  If you are traveling and the P trap sloshes out the grey tank is stinking up the coach.  We put a 1/2 dose of tank treatment in the grey.
3)  The washer often goes unused for some time and the trap dries out so we used to pour some water down the stand pipe now and then.

Heres a tip, if you treat the grey tank and dont have the problem then check the sinks.

Hope this helps.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 12:32:30 AM »
Thanks Ken, we used the washer last week. I will check out the flexible drain hose.
Fred & Cindy

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 01:04:21 AM »
We had an '04 Monterey.  Depending on what we did with roof vents, dash air and everything else, we could create a slight negative pressure in the MH at freeway speeds.  The "gas" seemed to bubble back through the traps and drains. 

Sometimes we would pour bleach in the drains.

The single thing that made the biggest difference was the Splendide drain.  Beaver put the Splendide drain tube so far down the pipe it acted as a siphon somehow.  Awkward to get to, but adjusting the Splendide drain tube made a lot of difference.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 01:55:45 AM »
If some P traps aren’t used much, the liquid dries up and/or sloshes out on the road.  We arent frequent showerers on trips, and I learned to pour a cup of water down that drain every so often to stop the gray tank back odor.  Also you may have, like ours, special vent valve risers near and above the traps that keep the trap liquid from being sucked out by the vacuum created by the act of emptying your gray tank.  If one of those little valves is befouled or stuck closed, emptying the tank after a park stay may mitigate the intent of its P trap and allow tank vapors up into the living space.

I too have read of the vacuum effect some like Bill have experienced on the road, but more where an open roof vent actually draws in vapors from a nearby roof tank fitting.  Try to maintain inside ventilation such that there is no negative pressure inside on the road.  I understand there are tank roof vents that are more effective than others at expelling fumes;  but you may have a damaged one, or a partially plugged one so the tank(s) can’t vent to the roof properly, or road air is actually being pushed down the vent rather than up and away.

We’ve never had odor problems with our Splendide, even though it’s infrequently used, and I’ve never poured water or run a rinse cycle to fill its hard-to-access trap.  I’m not certain why it’s never been an issue, given that I know others here have experienced a problem with their rarely used machines.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 03:32:51 AM »
You guys bring up some very interesting points. I emptied my tanks a couple days ago at a dump station. The grey water tank was nearly full and it actually overflowed the park drain so I had to slow it down. The smell was extremely bad after that when driving down the road on the way home. So, I’m wondering if maybe the force of the draining sucked out some of the water in the P-traps. Is that even possible?
Fred & Cindy

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 04:15:35 AM »
Fred,
The best solution that I have found to solve an issue like yours is to install a vent cap that will create a negative pressure in the holding tank as you drive like this; 

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40595-White-Cyclone-Plumbing/dp/B003P64XU4/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511669283&sr=1-2&keywords=RV+sewer++vent

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »
You guys bring up some very interesting points. I emptied my tanks a couple days ago at a dump station. The grey water tank was nearly full and it actually overflowed the park drain so I had to slow it down. The smell was extremely bad after that when driving down the road on the way home. So, I’m wondering if maybe the force of the draining sucked out some of the water in the P-traps. Is that even possible?

Yes, Fred, that's what I was saying.  I guess the piping is such that the tank vent porting is smaller than the dump valve port, so air can't come in the roof vent fast enough.  That can allow the resulting vacuum to drain the traps when you dump the gray tank.  Check this link for more info:
http://www.loveyourrv.com/bad-smell-coming-rv-sink/

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

George Harwell

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
Fred, welcome to the club of stinking tanks. My 03 Monterey has been a problem since day 1 and I have tried everything over the past 14 years. I finally put water in the shower drain and covered it with a rubber mat and gallon of water to hold it in place. Put some water in the bathroom sink and went for a drive. No change so put the sink stoppers in the kitchen sink and added water, took a test drive and no odor. After all these years I had finally found the culprit, the kitchen sink. To manage it we would open the small bedroom window approximately 1 inch. Read about the HEPVO valve so I installed one early this year and now I am odor free. Just google HEPVO valve for information and I think I purchased it on Amazon. I agree that the grey water can smell worse than the sewer so you might want to add some licquid treatment occasionally.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Jerry Emert, Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 11:04:18 PM »
Fred, welcome to the club of stinking tanks. My 03 Monterey has been a problem since day 1 and I have tried everything over the past 14 years. I finally put water in the shower drain and covered it with a rubber mat and gallon of water to hold it in place. Put some water in the bathroom sink and went for a drive. No change so put the sink stoppers in the kitchen sink and added water, took a test drive and no odor. After all these years I had finally found the culprit, the kitchen sink. To manage it we would open the small bedroom window approximately 1 inch. Read about the HEPVO valve so I installed one early this year and now I am odor free. Just google HEPVO valve for information and I think I purchased it on Amazon. I agree that the grey water can smell worse than the sewer so you might want to add some licquid treatment occasionally.

Great information! I will look into this and probably install it myself. Thanks!
Fred & Cindy

Bob Bulot

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 12:06:44 AM »
Fred,
The best solution that I have found to solve an issue like yours is to install a vent cap that will create a negative pressure in the holding tank as you drive li.

If the odor is mostly when you're driving down the road (often with a window open) the air passing over the vent tube on the roof is likely the culprit.   I agree with Gerald that this device solved the problem for me.  I also agree that the gray water tank can really stink - almost as bad as the black tank.  Wal Mart sells a gray tank deoderizer that works pretty well - particularly if you keep the ptraps full of water.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 02:23:36 AM »
Fred,
The best solution that I have found to solve an issue like yours is to install a vent cap that will create a negative pressure in the holding tank as you drive li.

If the odor is mostly when you're driving down the road (often with a window open) the air passing over the vent tube on the roof is likely the culprit.   I agree with Gerald that this device solved the problem for me.  I also agree that the gray water tank can really stink - almost as bad as the black tank.  Wal Mart sells a gray tank deoderizer that works pretty well - particularly if you keep the ptraps full of water.

Bob, Gerald... this looks great! Believe I will try this and the Hepvo too.  Hopefully will be the end of it.
Fred & Cindy

Bob Bulot

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
It did for me.  The device requires no tools to install.  Just fits over the vent tube after removing the t-vent cap.  You'll need some Henry's. or similar to re-seal the roof around the device when you're done.