Author Topic: Motorized TV frame panel interferes with opening the cabinet - is this normal?  (Read 3134 times)

Mike Shumack

In my '05 Patriot the front motorized TV swing-down "frame" interferes with the opening of the cabinet above the passenger seat.
This cabinet is the one where the AVR (Audio-Video-Receiver) is currently located. There is not much reason to go into this cabinet as the AVR is controlled by remote, but if there was a DVD or Bluray player in there it would be difficult to access the player as the cabinet door only opens about 45 degrees.

It seems odd that the coach would be designed like this. I'm wondering if the "frame panel" is installed backwards - where the wedge shape end should be in the front (closest to windshield)?

I looked at the 2005 Patriot brochure which has a photo of this area it does not look like there is a clearance issue in the brochure photo (although the photo angle is bad and its hard to tell for sure).

The part that interferes with the cabinet is stationary - it does not move when the TV is lowered or raised.
Those of you with the front motorized TV setup - do you have this same clearance issue?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:07:02 PM by Mike Shumack »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Mike the 06 PT was not like this at all the TV panel was flush to the ceiling and we had no problem with the cabinet door, However we did have issue with the TV panel operation. I did many comments on this over the years and wonder if somehow your rig has been modified?

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Shumack

I don't know if it was built this way - or added later - or modified somehow.
It not worth much effort to change, but it does seem strange.
Here's another shot from further back. It looks like the TV box is mounted on the ceiling rather than "in" the ceiling.

William Jordan

Our 03 marquis has this box but the cabinets in that area are smaller and only contain switches and controls. The receivers and dvd are in the slide out cabinets.Causing wiring problems for modern receivers etc  From my looking back when we bought the Marquis  the television  was initially a box mounted to the ceiling in all the models that had the drop down tv  and that changed to flush  a couple ?  years after our 03 Perhaps the roof height was raised at that time? Probable when Monaco “standardized” the Beaver  into the Monaco line.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:03:57 PM by William Jordan »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Our flip-down TV is mounted attached to the ceiling as opposed to mounted in the ceiling.  The outside frame of the TV mount is as wide as the ceiling space can accommodate.  But we do not have cabinets in front of the TV frame that would be hindered by the TV mount's framework.  My guess is a prior owner of your coach wanted a larger TV and took the full width available at the expense of cabinet clearances.  There are small cabinets up there in our coach, but they are set back to the left and right sides far enough to allow their doors to fully flip up without hitting the TV mount's frame.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

Thanks for replying.
Just to clarify one thing, the front cabinets (above the windshield) are not a problem. Its the cabinet above the passenger seat that doesn't open fully.
I'm sure the previous owner did not modify the frame (this thing is made out of steel and very heavy-duty). Previous owner did install a bigger TV but it still fits within the frame work. Either Beaver messed up when they built the coach or perhaps the cabinets over the passenger seat where made too tall. Maybe there are two different sized cabinets depending on whether or not you have the motorized TV mount, and they got the wrong ones installed at build time.

Now that I think and write about this, I can't see anyway that a previous owner could have done anything.