Author Topic: where to purchase OEM flexible air intake hose for 400 HC-9 on a 2005 Monterey  (Read 2218 times)

Terry Whiteley

Just joined BAC and need to know where to source flexible air intake hose which runs from outside air inlet mid high on left rear endcap overt to air filter box at right side of engine compartment.
2005 Monterey C-9 400 HP. The strangest thing is that the reinforced ribbed air intake hose about 10" ID and about 8-10' length has collapsed almost flattened. It looks like someone stood on it...
thanks,
Terry Whiteley
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV 38'
Hideaway Texas
Ford F 150 toad
twz4@hotmail.com

Rodney Luker

I have the same air intake setup & it is restrict @ the connection to the outside air intake .
My air filter gauge always showed the filter was dirty but it had high vacuum due to the connection to the intake grill.
You can get the new duct hose at most good truck parts parts stores but you need to open up the connection to the grill.
mine run better with the hose off the air cleaner but it got dirty faster picking up the air in the engine compartment as I dry camp in the desert a lot.
I ducted the air to the air cleaner to solve the problem.
Contact me if you want info about that.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Terry, the builder changed air intake setup so finding OEM may be a problem. Caterpillar
Air intake hose is a thick rubber rib tube. Having air intake restrictions such as your talking
about with your 400 hp engine can suck the air filter into engine under restrictions starting
If intake blockage get severe. Removing air intake tube to engine area open different doors of problems, shortens life of filter. You should notice exhaust smoke excessive and not clearing
out driving down the road with air restrictions to your engine. I can get technical information
for your C-9 air intake the way engine built and tested and provide that to you on Ask Dave
Technical Information. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Yep had same setup from factory. Restriction before getting to the air cleaner. Had sheet metal made and installed going across to the right and then down to the air cleaner. Removed the the air intake grille and used a reciprocating saw to cut the fiberglass as the opening was smaller than the original flex tube. My goal was to keep the square inches of the grille the same all the way to the air cleaner. Mileage improved by .5 mpg.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
Checking with your CAT service center might be the first call. Also, a local commercial hose shop may have or can get what you need.

Online, this company looks like it’ll have what you need:

https://www.hosecraftusa.com/application/Duct_Hoses

Good luck!
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium