Author Topic: Air Bag Dump On older 96 Patriot Savannah  (Read 2367 times)

Dan and Debbi Maas

Air Bag Dump On older 96 Patriot Savannah
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:18:54 AM »
I am new to this forum as we just purchased an older 96 Patriot 33' Savannah and are learning some things about it, or trying to.

I have a question regarding the air bags and leveling of the coach. I would think that the leveling system would dump the air from the air bags to allow maximum range from the hydraulic leveling system. It doesn't though and I don't know if that is a malfunction or was never considered to be needed?
With the air bags pumped up to the level travel position when stopping and trying to level the coach with the air in them you can only get an inch or two in the back and then the front will not even come up enough to get level.

There is an air dump on the dash to dump air from what seems to be the main tank, but the air in the air bags is captive as the level controls are at the level or closed position. The front will leak down more rapidly than the back but both probably take a few days to go down.

I know this is an older coach and I have searched the forum to see if there was any information on this but could find none. I would like to add dump solenoids to the front and rear airbags if they are currently not a part of the system and the whole system could then drain through those.

Are there any of you folks still driving around in coaches of this vintage?? I would love to get your input on this and any other things you could probably share your experiences on. Here or a phone call would be great. We are new to this older coach and are hoping that it still has some life left in it.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Air Bag Dump On older 96 Patriot Savannah
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »
Dan,
I don't have the answer but our Technical Library has a set of 96 Monterey manuals that may also cover your coach. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2897.msg21771.html#msg21771
If no answer there or from any other members, try calling Ken Carpenter at Beaver Coach Sales.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dan and Debbi Maas

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:27:38 AM »
Thanks Steve. I looked at quite few of the documents there but could not find too much information on the air lines schematics for that age. I guess I will have to get under there and see what I can see, I can always cut in a couple of air solenoids and some switching to dump the air bags manually. The newer units seem to have it as part of the hydraulic leveling system.

Once I look under there, I can give the beaver people a call, and have some idea of what I've looked at so I can ask intelligent questions.

Thanks for the response. We are looking to drive down to Quartzsite in January, so that will be a shakedown run for us in this rig.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »

There is an air dump on the dash to dump air from what seems to be the main tank, but the air in the air bags is captive as the level controls are at the level or closed position. The front will leak down more rapidly than the back but both probably take a few days to go down.

It would be very unusual to have a switch on the dash to dump the "main" air tanks. If you do, I would hope that switch only works with the ignition key Off or in Acc position. You certainly would not want to be driving and mistakenly dump your system air.

I think most likely that switch is to dump your air bags - it just isn't working properly (i.e. one of the solenoids is not working).

When you hit the switch do you see the dash air gauge dropping (which air system the primary, or secondary, or both)? If so, does it drop to zero?

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
On our 03 Contessa when you dump it drops bags and drains both tanks.

Jim
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
Dan,
The dump switch on your dash should dump all air including the tanks and air bags. If it does not dump the air bags, you have a malfunction.

What make is your leveling system? If it is HWH, a call to their technical support group will probably give you the answer you are looking for, but you will probably have to wait a day or two for a call back. 

Gerald
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:53:40 PM by Gerald Farris »