Author Topic: Shower Skylight  (Read 17994 times)

Tom and Pam Brown

Shower Skylight
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
Anyone ever removed and replaced the shower skylight?

What is the best method of removing the old sealant?

Thanks for your input.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Shower Skylight
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:54 PM »
I had to change mine due to a small crack which then leaked water. I used a steel putty knife to get at all the screws then remove them. I then used the knife to see-saw around the skylight cutting the sealant. After removing the skylight I used a stainless steel chisel and small amounts of laquor thinner to clean the surface.
Marty

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Motorhome Magazine has an article on replacing the sky light this month. It was on a rubber roof and I think the fiberglass roof would be easier. February Issue Page 50.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:44:10 PM by 72 »

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:49:25 AM »
I just changed mine a few months ago. There is nothing very easy about it and it takes a lot of elbow grease.

I experimented with various tools and ended up using a $30 multifunction tool from harbor freight once the screws were removed. The vibrating tools gets the putty hot so you have to clean the tool every few minutes. The nice thing is that it did eliminate a lot of the elbow grease  from the other methods that I tried.

Ours was punctured with hail. It was two thin pieces when it came out. I replaced it with a 1/4" thick unit using the larger outside dimensions. Since we are traveling now in the winter in 10 to 30 degree weather, there is a lot of condensation on the inside in the mornings, just like the side windows.

Right now, I need a clever way to seal from the vertical trim boards in the shower up to the skylight. Any Ideas anyone?

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:32:05 PM »
If the inner shell was reusable you could have used it together with the stronger outer shell and achieved a vapor barrier to solve the condensation problem.

Bruce Benson

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:41:39 AM »
I am in the process of changing my sealant to Eternabond tape.  I have had good luck removing the old sealant by heating it with a Harbor Freight heat gun, using a plastic putty knife on the fiberglass part and a metal paint scraper type putty knife on the metal part.  I keep the putty knifes lubricated with dish washing soap to stop the sealant from sticking to them.  I remove the residual with lacquer thinner.

I am not happy yet with my Eternabond results.  There are a few technique problems and possibly a compatibility problem with the hight of the flanges over the level of the roof.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »
FYI
The kind folks in Bend suggested using a "Wax and Grease remover" for the residue cleanup.  Incidently this product "available at most auto paint stores" also softens the old sealant so it is a bit easier to remove.  I use a heat gun and a flat blade but it can get too hot for the roof so keep it moving and do small areas.
Bruce; thanks for the tip on the liquid soap lube.  When heated that stuff sticks to everything so my next job (skylight) should be easier.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
Replaced mine a couple months ago.  Heat gun with plastic scraper did the job with a bit of elbow grease.  Used dicor self leveling adhesive under the skylight and used stainless washers with screws and covered with eternabond tape.  
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind

George H. Wall

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
To aid with insulation qualities in this winter climate, I cut a piece of plexiglass to the size of the outer opening of the woodwork and placed industrial Velcro to both of the surfaces of the glass and woodwork, ALL THE WAY AROUND. There is NO CONDENSATION and the heat runs consideribly less now because of the dead air space above the plexiglass.  George H. Wall

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
The window guys use a 1" x 3" piece of Corian sharpened to a chisel point to scrape off the old silicone.  They said it would not remove the paint, but the sealant comes off.  Works for them.

Larry

Keith Oliver

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
When I did my windows, I used a razor blade lubricated with window cleaner.  took all of the old sealant, sometimes in a single pass.

Eric Wallace

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »
Our 2001 Monterey is in need of a new shower skylight.  Monaco has told me they don't have stock on that old one.  Does anyone have any info on a good source for a replacment?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »
I did a Google search and came up with this place (they sure do have lots of sizes and styles): http://www.replacementrvskylights.com/index.htm

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
If you can't find one, you can have one made.

http://www.aiaindustries.com

Several years ago when we had our 1993 Patriot, our shower skylight was broken in a hail storm.  Monaco had none that would fit.

This company was very reasonable in price.

Glenda  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:57:53 AM by 235 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 03:52:35 AM »
Eric,
When I needed a replacement skylight for my 2000 Marquis last year, Beaver Coach Sales had one in stock. Their parts department is due to open back up the end of next week. If you can wait that long they may be able to help you.

Gerald