Author Topic: Jeep transmission disconnect problem  (Read 2257 times)

Bill Staley

Jeep transmission disconnect problem
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »
Good afternoon all.  We tow a 2011 jeep liberty 4 down.  When we started this trip the "neutral button" would not work.  It didn't disconnect the transmission.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Gerald Farris

Re: Jeep transmission disconnect problem
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »
Bill,
Although this problem is not a common problem on the Liberty, it does happen. There can be several different issues that cause this problem from a defective switch, wiring issue (corroded or loose connector), or a shift actuator (motor) defective or stuck. If you are comfortable mechanically with transmission repairs, you can take the actuator off the transfer case and shift the transfer case manually until you can permanently repair the issue. I have seen cases where just removal and replacement of the actuator resolved the issue for an extended period of time. Otherwise, you are off to the Jeep dealer. 

Gerald

Dale Walker

Re: Jeep transmission disconnect problem
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:41:43 AM »
Bill, there was a problem with the electronic switching on the Grand Cherokee that I have read about. Fact is a friend had problems with his. He took it back to the dealer, and apparently they have had a few. My 2011 was a little touchy, but the 2014 has worked very well.