Author Topic: Coach Will Not Start  (Read 14216 times)

Gerald Farris

Re: Coach Will Not Start
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 03:50:50 PM »
Pat,
That usually happens from reverse polarity. Just a momentary touch from the wrong cable on a battery post is all that it takes. You will get a spark and a lot of blown fuses, but the fuses protect the circuits from major damage in most, but not all cases. Therefore, be very careful in battery installation.

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Trige Gleim

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
Most likely an arc occurred when the batteries were replaced or ground was applied to a chassis battery positive cable after the hookup. Either can cause very high current to be present throughout the system, enough to blow a 200A fuse. No way to predict what fuses will blow, making trouble shooting tough.
Moral; Be VERY careful when changing our batteries!
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Trige Gleim

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »
Most likely an arc occurred when the batteries were replaced or ground was applied to a chassis battery positive cable after the hookup. Either can cause very high current to be present throughout the system, enough to blow a 200A fuse. No way to predict what fuses will blow, making trouble shooting tough.
Moral; Be VERY careful when changing our batteries!
Steve
Added note: Make sure your main coach battery switches are in the off position. I tape up the ends of the coach main negative cables, it is real easy to hit a positive terminal with all cabling with our batteries.

Darell T Hostland

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »
I have worked on Golf cart batteries and Joy mining equipment batteries and emergency generating systems for 43 years. This is Motor home number 5 for my wife and I . When I work on the batteries I put tight fitting rubber hose over the bare ends. I use red for the positive and black for the negative. I slip the rubber on as soon as each wire is removed. I put a piece of red electrical tape by the positive post on the battery. This is how I keep my wires and proper polarity in order. Be careful a small DC battery can produce very high currents (amps) and burn and start fires very fast.